Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Countdown supporting Twig and Tweet. (Forest & Bird)

Countdown supporting Twig and Tweet. (Forest & Bird)

Hi All,
    Saw this advertised on TV this evening and found it on line as well.
    https://www.countdown.co.nz/communit...gs/forest-bird

After Twig and Tweet's reaction around Tahr last year I will be letting countdown know my disappointment with them choosing to partner with F&B.
    They are more than just a green group they are a political lobby group as well.
    https://www.countdown.co.nz/about-us/contact-us

Z
    stingray, Pengy, chainsaw and 3 others like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Well, they just lost a couple of hundred bucks a week right here, right now.
    stingray, Pengy, kiwigreen and 6 others like this.

Likewise
    We shop at New World now that the local Cuntdown is is getting run down
    stingray likes this.

wont be seeing any of my money either

Same here...Count down card is being cut down.

Out for the count.

Thanks for the post @ZQLemis I’ll not be doing my bulk buy for Stewart Island from them!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Flick them an email via the link to let them know .
    I have
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Countdown is Progressives, should go home to Australia and medal in their own wonderful politics.
    Pengy and chainsaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Countdown is Progressives, should go home to Australia and medal in their own wonderful politics.
    Hard. Bout time the duopoly got broken up.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I've just sent them an email as well. Haven't been using them much lately anyway. Useless @holes always out of stock on most things most of the time.

Will be making the extra 30Min drive to pak and save.... Usually go there anyway

they were outside my local new world a week back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Flick them an email via the link to let them know .
    I have
    +1

What does Countdown mean by "partnering with" Forest & Bird? It does not state they give money to F&B, it is more by supporting the Plastic Free July campaign - whether financially or by action maybe needs clarification by Countdown.

Just reducing plastic bag use is in itself a good thing methinks, but F&B is an extreme almost religious political conservationism organisation. It is not a general feel good badge that can be safely used to promote their wares. What did they THINK with the increasing numbers of people disagreeing with 1080 spread?

From the Countdown Page:
    "Countdown is proud to partner with Forest & Bird to protect our wildlife and wild places by supporting plastic free July. We've already committed to removing single-use plastic carrier bags from checkouts and online by end 2018, as well as plastic straws by 1 October 2018. We've still got work to do, but we're in this for the long haul."

Plastic Free July: https://www.plasticfreejuly.org/

Plastic Free July is an Australian registered charity, from the above website the About Us page:
    "From a humble office initiative in 2011 started by the WMRC Earth Carers in Perth, Australia the Plastic Free Foundation is now a independent not-for-profit Foundation. We are a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (ACNC) and have fundraising licences in WA and Victoria (other states pending). We are also registered and eligible to receive grants from the Charities Aid Foundation of America (CAF). Donations help us continue to help millions of people and organisations across the world make change."

WMRC is western metropolitan regional council, and they have taken down the WMRC earth carers page which the Plastic Free July has a link to in its About Us page. Namedropping, perhaps, but it was back in 2011 so maybe that evening class is no longer offered by the regional council.
    Plastic Free July IS duly listed in the 2018 list of charities by the ACNZ, charity no. 70622097527, Plastic Free July Foundation Ltd, Fremantle, WA.

The Plastic Free July site contains no mention of Forest & Bird.

The Forest and Bird web site contains no links or mentions of Plastic Free July, apart from an aside mention in the opening line of one article.

The countdown page has a link to the F&B's plastic pledge page, which again contains no mention of or link to Plastic Free July. I perceive a lot of it is relentless heart-string-tugging fund raising and the F&B fundraisers will not put up a web page which encourages donating to another organisation than F&B.

So when Countdown partners with F&B it is rather loosely, albeit unwisely. I speculate that maybe it was Australian HQ that made the call rather than a local NZ manager -- who would/should have warned about the polarising effect of aligning with such an organisation. Writing to Countdown HQ in Australia should be worth it.