Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Crying in my Beer

Crying in my Beer

Well chaps I know I'm in good company here but today was supposed to be the start of three weeks of full on hunting for me and couple of mates.
    The first week I had planned 3 or 4 nights solo up the southern Ruahines, then my annual fly in trip with my Brother and another mate to a block in the North western Ruahines , a trip we've been doing for ten years or so now and actually have been hunting the same general area since the early 1980s .
    After that I had what for me would be a fairly ambitious walk in trip to Maropea forks and Wakelings in the central Ruahines, an area I've not been to for twenty odd years or so.
    I turned 63 a few weeks ago and have been training pretty hard to get my fitness level up so I can carry a full pack, which I find I can still do as long as I don't do anything silly like fill my pack with legs of venison LOL.
    That's probably what hurts the most ,all those months of hard work, going to the gym, day walks up the hills carrying a small pack full of old hunting mags so the ole shoulders had a bit of weight hanging off them.
    It's the worst possible timing ,any other time of the year wouldn't really worry me.
    Never mind guess I'll just clean out the garage , do a few other jobs round the house and maybe clean my rifles again .
    And of course cry in my beer !!!. Cheers
    tetawa, Maca49, Shearer and 6 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Put a tent in the back yard and sleep under the stars. Cook in the backyard and eat outside. Hide behind a tree and glass the neighbourhood for animals. Stalk the neighbours cat and shoot Mynah birds with a Shanghai. Not the same as hunting but man will it entertain your community.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    No harm in getting and keeping yourself fit. It's also inspiring for those of us who are not there yet that if we look after ourselves we should be able to continue hunting into our 60's.
    xtightg likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

My age has just been deemed the cut off, I’m now in the old and vulnerable shouldn’t go to the super market etc, they even made an ad for me, just to reinforce my fragility. I still own a business and work 10 hour days, and after a month of this, I wont want to retire!!
    Tommy, Huk, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

@30late On the plus side, should the virus spread through the greater community you’ll be in better health to fight it than a lot of people in their sixties.
    All that training has put you in good stead for the current situation.
    Micky Duck and xtightg like this.

Yup, agree with all of the sentiment expressed above, is inspirational for those of us who are heading towards older age to hear stories of those prepared to push themselves to do what many young people can’t these days. All I can say is don’t chuck it away, keep it up! We often get preoccupied with hunting during the Roar and forget that you can hunt all year round here, and do well.
    tetawa and xtightg like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Good work on getting shape. Time spent at the gym is time well spent. Keep up the exercise at home! Don't lose your gains by sitting around and knocking back beers all day. (have a beer after the workout) and then you're still good to go once we're allowed out again.

Facebook has a Lockup mouse hunt which is a bit of a hoot if you do Facebook. You do need to be asked to join though. If you are interested flick me a pm with your Facebook handle and I’ll see if I can ask you to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    My age has just been deemed the cut off, I’m now in the old and vulnerable shouldn’t go to the super market etc, they even made an ad for me, just to reinforce my fragility. I still own a business and work 10 hour days, and after a month of this, I wont want to retire!!
    You're in better shape than most 40 year olds
    Maca49 and northdude like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    You're in better shape than most 40 year olds
    Fuck don’t tell him that Tommy, he will grow his hair long and put on a moustache again.
    Maca49 likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

managed to get 3 weeks down south in Canterbury, ended up only 2 weeks in the hills with son. but was great. No big stags seen, plenty of deer in the RHA. Also did a good trip into the Ruahine tops. saw few. Had plans for next 6 weeks of hunting trips, probably mainly in Tararuas. Come out from overnight trip earlier this week. Got one, heard one roar. That's it. Roar is over. They'll be there in 4 weeks or whatever. Just got keep active, as fitness seems slip away if don't keep at hill climbing. Might have get Mt Bike out, and ride up the road to some hills. If that's allowed ?
    In 70s, so am trying make most of it. fitness seems to be reducing exponentially. And knees getting bit sore now
    Cant complain, plenty didnt get any hunting trips in.
    Stay safe everyone

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    No harm in getting and keeping yourself fit. It's also inspiring for those of us who are not there yet that if we look after ourselves we should be able to continue hunting into our 60's.
    Down load an app called "Deck of Cards" You add any 4 exercises you want. Short circuit workout.
    For instance I have press ups, burpees, 25m shuttle run, and bicycle kicks (for my mono pack abs)
    Takes around 25-30 minutes. You can do in your yard or garage and keeps you in shape.
    Alternate days I just do some burpees. You dont stop. As soon as an exercise is finished you hit the card and do the next until you have done 104 of each activity.

I was going to go out hunting no matter what. I live so close to animals, even decent ones that would interest me and no bugger would know. But on reflection it's not worth it. Even in the unlikely event of an emergency. Makes us hunter/shooter types look pretty bad if we get found out. We dont need the publicity.
    Also there will be shitloads of animals having had no pressure on them for a month or however long wandering around when we are allowed out. Some stags will still be going and others will be feeding up in usual areas and allow better assessment than a quick glimpse in the bush.

I heard a stag roaring pretty well from home late last nite while letting the dog out. I have lived here 10 yrs and never heard one so close before. No deer farms for miles.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    kiwijames, Micky Duck and xtightg like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Down load an app called "Deck of Cards" You add any 4 exercises you want. Short circuit workout.
    For instance I have press ups, burpees, 25m shuttle run, and bicycle kicks (for my mono pack abs)
    Takes around 25-30 minutes. You can do in your yard or garage and keeps you in shape.
    Alternate days I just do some burpees. You dont stop. As soon as an exercise is finished you hit the card and do the next until you have done 104 of each activity.

I was going to go out hunting no matter what. I live so close to animals, even decent ones that would interest me and no bugger would know. But on reflection it's not worth it. Even in the unlikely event of an emergency. Makes us hunter/shooter types look pretty bad if we get found out. We dont need the publicity.
    Also there will be shitloads of animals having had no pressure on them for a month or however long wandering around when we are allowed out. Some stags will still be going and others will be feeding up in usual areas and allow better assessment than a quick glimpse in the bush.

I heard a stag roaring pretty well from home late last nite while letting the dog out. I have lived here 10 yrs and never heard one so close before. No deer farms for miles.

Roar him in to your street mate. You are clear to take the shot if he gets close as no bugger is outside.
    R93 and outlander like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Roar him in to your street mate. You are clear to take the shot if he gets close as no bugger is outside.
    Na I will look for him with the camera if I hear him again. I think I know roughly where he is if the sound isint playing tricks bouncing off stuff.
    Pretty sure he was just moving thru anyway as area gets a lot of foot and bike traffic.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

northdude
    i was wodering if id get funny looks if im at the supermarket if i pretend to stalk some meat in the meat isle then pretend to shoot and butcher it and carry it out to the check out