Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dealing with a Fallow?

Dealing with a Fallow?

OK, out vermin busting last night and a couple of fallow deer fell into my boot courtesy of one of the crew. One of these deer has come home with me.

When do I skin it and how long should I hang it considering the temperature if predicted to get into the high 20's for the next several days? Also not overly sure on how I should break it down. I've done a lamb before.

Heeelp.

Thanks gadget
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    GM, I have never been one to hang the fallow that I get up the back of my place. I skin them as soon as I get back home and bone them out straight away (most often prior to rigour and while still warm). I do this because I have a spare fridge that I can then chill the meat in for about a week before I steak it. It certainly isn't necessary to do it this way but doing so does not cause any issue.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    GM, I have never been one to hang the fallow that I get up the back of my place. I skin them as soon as I get back home and bone them out straight away (most often prior to rigour and while still warm). I do this because I have a spare fridge that I can then chill the meat in for about a week before I steak it. It certainly isn't necessary to do it this way but doing so does not cause any issue.
    We do he same thing Rushy unless we have access to a chiller.
    VIVA LA HOWA

GM, also when breaking it down it is quite easy to follow the muscle separations on the hind quarters and take out individual muscles in the group. The back steaks are straight forward and I generally take the front legs/shoulders off before I take the back steaks out as that enables you to get more of the back steak in the one piece. Don't forget to take the small fillets out from the under side of the spine as they are succulent.

Keep your boning knife sharp and take your time. Get TR to help holding where you need it.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Im spoilt having a chiller, if I can get the animal out whole il let it hang for a day or two with skin on if clean shot. If threw shoulders Il skin straight away open up shoulders trim out any shot meat and bone then it can hang for 4-10 days.
    As Rushy said this is not essential,works just as well in the fridge just make sure its spread out so air can get round it and turn it each day.
    The better nick the animal is in the less aging is needed, a young fat fallow should be tender pretty much as soon as its cooled and set but a few days aging will certainly improve it.
    Any animal will be better eating if putting condition on(which it should be at this time of year) as opposed to loosing condition.
    IE it is possible to shoot a deer with reasonable fat but starting to live off those fat reserves and it not be as nice as a skinny spring deer starting to put condition on.

So back to your hanging question, the quicker you can get that deer gutted out and cooling off(preferably hanging of the ground not in back of wagon) the better. the quicker it has cooled the less chance of bone taint.
    If it was me I would skin it now, open up the shoulders so just hanging on by a bit of meat AND CUT OPEN THE HIP SOCKET so you are left with a floppy carcass.
    Sinovial fluid in joints is the first thing to go of and it spreads rapidly from there from the inside out, blood between muscle groups and bone fragments will also go of real quick.
    20c is no real problem as long as you have a breeze. Ideally hang it in a tree in the shade if you have well established trees gardens? with a sheet wrapped round it like a tent(you want air around it)
    Or in the garage with doors open and maybe a fan if no breeze.
    Keep an eye on it and it should develop a dry skin on the meat if all is well, if it starts going greasy cut it up immediately and into the fridge or freezer.
    Hopefully of some help
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks guys. They were gutted immediately. It is hanging in the cool shade in the garage in a game bag. Next job is to knock up a bracket to hang off the sleepout that will hang it under some trees and allow me batter access around it and a breeze. Yes, one of those I've been thinking about it jobs.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yes, one of those I've been thinking about it jobs.
    GM you need to get a round tuit. Get me one at the same time. I have shitloads that I could use it for.
    veitnamcam and Toby like this.

As for breaking it down this is what works for me.
    Hang by one rear leg gut cavity facing you, your right rear leg(and its cos its upside down now) hanging if right handed opposite for left.
    Carefully bone out round "H" bone or pelvis on the loose non hanging side,as you get down to the start of the back bone be real careful as there is not much meat to hold it together here. this is a good time to remove the fillets,a quick score around the top and if set they will just rip out cleanly.
    Start pealing meat off the ribs and back steak as one, its easy from here holding the rear quarter in your left hand(if your right handed) and peeling it of including whole shoulder and neck meat.
    Now you have all the meat off one side in your arm, onto the bench and break down into steak like rushy said and all your trimmings(except bullet damage) can go into sausages or salamis or mince.
    Of course shoulder meat makes excellent stew and also steak off a young fallow
    Shanks are not to be over looked either.
    Now for the other side, this essentially the same but instead of pealing off meat you are pealing the frame,chassis,skeleton off of the meat. Once again be real careful around the rear quarter/spine junction or the whole lot drops on the floor
    This leaves you with the dog bones on the floor and all the other sides meat hanging on the hook.

I think I need a dozen of those tuit things Rushy. The critter is hanging in the shade under the cherry tree. Not too many flies hanging around, they seem to be having too much trouble getting past the gadgettes. I did manage to beat the gadgettes away long enough to get a couple of pickies though. Has stayed pretty cool in the garage which is good. Will skin it shortly. Morning might be good to do the boning out job as hopefully cooler and firmer.

Boneing out the rear wheels start on the inside of the leg where the bone is closest to the surface,remember that wont go far wrong.
    once bone is removed spread out muscles and you should be able to separate the individual muscle groups mostly with your fingers and a bit of pressure then some light knife work.
    trim any really thick or silver membrane off of steak or it will shrink and go like leather when cooked,leave it on any meat from front quarters or shanks if for stews, it is this that turns lovely and gelatin and adds greatly to flavor.

Thanks VC

Rough and ready Thingy to hang stuff from.

And it works

I can stand on the verandah and drag the rear end up and hook it on. Then swing out to work on it. Agricultural but it seems to work and it never gets direct sunlight but a good breeze.
    veitnamcam and Sniper like this.

Sweet,as long as it works for you its all good.
    Righto off to a mates to cook some red steaks ,sausages and a bit of bought bacon on the BBQ

Jealous!!!!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

thats a pretty well worded way to break up the animal VNCam, thanks for that also

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Sweet,as long as it works for you its all good.
    Works a treat, good thing is its easy for a decrepit cripple like me to get the thing up there on my own. De-boned all but the legs. All the meat sitting in the fridge.