Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Deer on a frosty morning

Goin out chasing reds in the morning. going to be sidling a western face that is quite thick native. there is a lot of sign from about half way up the face to near the top. At the top it goes into a bit of a flat then forestry cut-over.

Just a thought being a cold frosty morning are the deer more likely to be tucked up in the native or up on the top eastern edge to catch some sun?

The other 2 deer I've got from this block one was a hind quite low down the face on a rainy day and the other was a spiker out in the cut-over on a foggy/rainy morning at about 10am.

P38
    I'd head for a spot overlooking the sunny spots, especially the early morning sunny spots.

Unfortunately that usually means parking up in the shady frosty spots to wait so make sure you have plenty of warm gear on.

Cheers
    Pete

From my limited experience I'd say the higher the better on a frosty morning. Any sunny areas will be good until mid-morning. Keen to see how you go and put this theory to the test.

Just wait till 9 to 11 am. Magic time for hunting deer in the winter, especially on frosty mornings once the sun hits the hill. I see ALOT of deer at this time of day.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Just wait till 9 to 11 am. Magic time for hunting deer in the winter, especially on frosty mornings once the sun hits the hill. I see ALOT of deer at this time of day.
    VERY VERY good advise

I'm no expert but that fits with what I've found a few times lately - deer near the top of a hill between 9-11.

What do they usually do in winter late afternoon/evening?