Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree44Likes
  • 21 Post By Scottie
  • 1 Post By 199p
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 9 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By tikka
  • 3 Post By Allizdog
  • 4 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Disapointed

Disapointed

So managed to sneak in to a new area for the first time Yesterday on a day trip.

Set my alarm for what I thought was 3:50am, turns out I had set it for pm..... However thanks to a little girls bladder, I woke at 4:30 and was driving into the main carpark right on sunrise. Four other vehicles in the first carpark, carried on a little deeper to the final park and to my surprise only two other trucks in there.

Boots, gear and the rifle on ready to go, I was off. Firstly along a marked unused track listening to 2-3 stags roaring when I dipped off the side and tried my luck. Managed to roar one of the boys in over an hour or so. Just my luck, the wind changed on me and all I heard was the bush crashing ahead and my bottom lip hitting the ground below!

Ahwell, by now it was 8am and the roaring had stopped, so off I was again along the track trying to get to a valley ahead. Another 20mins in, not taking to much care as to my noise, I heard crashing to my left which I assume was a young hind who had clearly been feeding on some broadleaf trees. So took it as a good sign, got to my valley and dipped off the side and began hunting the wind. Took a while before I found some fresh sign, so slowed down and took my time. Underfoot was still really dry in places which made it difficult but before long I managed to follow the game trail to a small re-entrant and creek. This time there was fresh, warm sign so slowed right down and began scanning the other side of the creek. One wrong step and CRACK. With that I heard the bloody thing "mewing" at me. For 20 minutes I sat there trying to spot it but every time I moved even the slightest, there was another mew. Needless to say it was safe to live another day.

Dropped over into another basin and again, after a while of poking my nose around, found another game trail with some fresh sign. Whilst stalking the trail, all of a sudden I hear a whole bunch of thudding, right towards ME! Next thing I see a nice fat hind at full flight not more than 3 meters away. I gave it a couple of Mews and she stopped dead in her tracks, enough for me to get a shot off, WHACK! She takes off along with 4 others. I gave it 5 mins, had a brew and then went off and followed the blood trail for 15mins or so before it stopped, not a lot of blood which had me questioning the shot placement. For the next two hours I search high and low and could not find the poor thing. I marked the spot and sent it to a mate who was heading in today to keep an eye out. After much reflection I think I hit her low and to towards the back legs as she took off again.

After a solid 11hrs of hunting, I returned to the truck thinking it was a day of disappointment right from my alarm, to the shot I fired. However on reflection, it was a good day full of learnings that I will take with me onto my future trips. The only disappointment for the day was knowing I shot that poor animal and she was left to die for no good reason or is going to walk around wounded for a very long time.

All in all, for a completely new spot and the hunting pressure im sure it has received lately, I was extremely happy with the animals I saw and bumped. Looking forward to getting back out there again!
    veitnamcam, Trout, 199p and 18 others like this.

Nice bro least your doing thing right even if the finish wasn't all there.
    Still better than some of us stuck working haha
    Scottie likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

better than sitting on couch...hopefully your mate will find hind....times like that a faithful hound comes into their own.
    its happened to all of us at some point in time.
    veitnamcam, tikka, Scottie and 1 others like this.

Banned
    That was a bummer with the hind. We all have had those thankless upsetting searches. What ammo were you using ? I've found with soft pills a poor hit could end up like you describe but with bonded bullets and enough gun they penetrate a lot further and result in a followable blood trail and dead deer.
    I dont agree with the popular 'wait half an hour and look' If I can see it after the shot I stay where I am if moving means I loose sight of the animal. If I loose sight at the shot I run flat out to it. In the case of the hind the shock of the hit may have slowed her for 2-3 minutes or she may have peeled off from the others and made a bit of noise then died and maybe you could of caught up with her.
    Scottie likes this.

I did exactly the same as you 5-6 years ago. The only difference was I had my pooch with me. She was more for company than an indicator dog but we eventually caught up with the wounded deer 5 hours round and around up and down in the area and as many KMs later and delivered the shot I should have in the first place.
    Sometimes shit just happens

Yep we all have dud trips but at least you seen animals at this busy time of the year and it was only day trip. Better luck next time. I’m jealous I haven’t been hunting in 3 weeks of the best weeks of the roar.
    Scottie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    That was a bummer with the hind. We all have had those thankless upsetting searches. What ammo were you using ? I've found with soft pills a poor hit could end up like you describe but with bonded bullets and enough gun they penetrate a lot further and result in a followable blood trail and dead deer.
    I dont agree with the popular 'wait half an hour and look' If I can see it after the shot I stay where I am if moving means I loose sight of the animal. If I loose sight at the shot I run flat out to it. In the case of the hind the shock of the hit may have slowed her for 2-3 minutes or she may have peeled off from the others and made a bit of noise then died and maybe you could of caught up with her.
    Yeah bit of a shame. Good ol trusty 150gr Federal Fusion in my 308 Tikka.

Yeah not a bad theory to be honest. I'll give it a nudge next time however I don't think it would have helped this time around. Just shit shot placement on my half this time around.

You don't often hear about disappointing hunts compared to successful ones, but it happens to us all. If not, you havn't hunted enough. Give it time. Good on you for sharing your experience.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Yeah bit of a shame. Good ol trusty 150gr Federal Fusion in my 308 Tikka.

Yeah not a bad theory to be honest. I'll give it a nudge next time however I don't think it would have helped this time around. Just shit shot placement on my half this time around.
    150 gr Fed fusion, she might be dead closer to where you shot here than you think. If you find blood and mark it then find more and mark that ( dunny roll) it doesnt take long and a direction of travel shows. We shot two just on dark on a scrub face last night and it wasnt until we found blood in the headlamps and marked it that we could know we were in the right place. Found both

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    150 gr Fed fusion, she might be dead closer to where you shot here than you think. If you find blood and mark it then find more and mark that ( dunny roll) it doesnt take long and a direction of travel shows. We shot two just on dark on a scrub face last night and it wasnt until we found blood in the headlamps and marked it that we could know we were in the right place. Found both
    Nice work mate! I wish I was able to get in this weekend some stage to have another nosy but was unable to -.-