Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doc hunting permits no go

My permit must have nearly run out by now so tryed to do another and there is something wrong with the site
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

seamed to work ok for me.... some of the maps in my area now have quite a lot less green on them
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

MEB
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    seamed to work ok for me.... some of the maps in my area now have quite a lot less green on them
    Have they tarmac'd them perhaps? Make a nice car park for the trampers and tourists?

Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    Have they tarmac'd them perhaps? Make a nice car park for the trampers and tourists?
    Bush reserves that were green for OK to hunt now are not on the map in green any more.... One spot I recieved an email about too many permits being allocated to that area so they closed it for saftey reasons.... but it was lumped in for the whole area permits so 99% of people would not have gone there.

As for Tarmc for tramper and tourists....no such thing as spots to park in this area... the Drain if you have a 4x4

MEB
    That's a bit crap - they think the place is popular so they close it for 'safety reasons'

Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    That's a bit crap - they think the place is popular so they close it for 'safety reasons'
    It was only a small patch of bush that a few goats lived in and the odd deer past through but was close to me... hardly went there but it was an option for a walk. another the map doesn't even go over that area any more (map covers a smaller area now) but I guess the pouching problems on the surrounding farmland is why that was dropped of....wish I had saved the original map to print and take with me

Still not work for me, once you type the capture and click the button it goes to a url doesnt exist page

just had a go at updating mine and it wad working ok, but I didn't have my permit number on hand to go next page

I got the same page not found message on my work computer all week when trying to get a new permit. I then tried it on my smart phone and it worked fine. I'm no IT expert but it could the type or version of web brouser on my work computer that was the issue.

What legal standing do the online maps have ?

There are quite a few more reserves and such like shown on the DoC boundaries map at Koordinates Koordinates - the one place for geodata and the walking access map site NZ Walking Access Mapping System than on the DoC permit site Hunting permit: Permits and licences Since the DoC .jpg were such low resolution and difficult to read, I preferred the others but they seem to have improved a lot now. I can load the Koordinates boundaries into my GPS if I want (anyone who needs instructions sing out).

Here is the answer from the DoC site above:

Restricted area hunting permits

If the area that you want to hunt is on public conservation lands, but isn't one of the open hunting areas, then it will either be a restricted or prohibited area.

Restricted areas will have extra requirements for hunting within them and include blocks that must be booked all year (e.g. Stewart Island coastal blocks).

You get permits for restricted areas from the DOC office that manages hunting in the restricted area. You can not get them online.

You can obtain a hunting permit or further information for a restricted area from:

DOC visitor centres
    DOC area offices (contact info is linked here)

Also, I see there are special small game permits available now. Has anyone here used them yet ?

Overall I think the permit system is way better than it was 2 years ago.

Personally I liked the old system. Ring em talk to a human.Two days later a nice waxy card arrived in the mail that would last in your bum bag twice as long as it was valid for rain or shine. Now I have to print my own and they are rooted in half an hour. Not to mention the interweb issues I allways seem to have.

The permit site worked fine for me on IE this evening.
    It would be good if the essential info (permit number, dates, areas, hunter's name, etc.) were all in credit card sized section of the form that you could cut out, laminate, leave in your first aid kit and forget about it. I print a big pile of them and take a fresh one each time.

Just tryed it again still dont work

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Just tryed it again still dont work
    As Mark M said, it may be the version of your web browser. I can't open the site from work, with IE 7, but at home, with Chrome and whatever version I have of IE, not a problem.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Mine wouldn't work with Mozilla Firefox 11 but worked with IE 9 from the same machine. Try a different browser.