Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ham 7mm
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By Seventenths

Thread: Dogs through Poronui access track

Dogs through Poronui access track

What are the rules about dogs an walking through the access way to Oamaru hut?
    Cheers
    Pengy likes this.

Looking on WAMS there's a paper road right smack through the place. Got a decent gps? then you are walking a public road. m2cw
    57jl likes this.

I heard years ago that the paper road is a prick to follow because of scrub or terrain, although I have never been through there.

Yea I'm after weather or not I could take my dog through the access track, or is it not allowed. Dog is all kiwi certified etc

Dog ok on lead last time I went through on the designated route. (Quite some time ago though)
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

You could always ring Poronui or Doc and ask. I've seen enough dogs at the hut to think it is okay.
    They are a reasonable bunch, I've had a couple of lifts from whom I assume are workers which made my day.
    I've also had them steam past too so there is that.

The track into the Oamaru starts at the public car park which is at the end of Taharua Road right beside Heli Sika itself.

There's a good sign at the car park and even in recent years a long drop was put at the car park as the station got sick of people having a dump on the side of the track.

The track is well marked and initially follows the road for a good 45 min before cutting through the station where you are allowed to take a dog as long as it's leashed as you'll be crossing through various paddocks which have livestock (cattle).

If you are going to walk in then DON'T walk in during midday when it's a hot day as there's literally NO COVER along the way since all the eucalyptis trees were cut down a few years back.

The other benefit to walking in through the station early morning or late evening bearing in mind you can't hunt while walking through the station itself is you'll see plenty of animals out and about!!!

Depending on your pace and fitness allow a good 3 hours to get in their though the fastest I ever did was from the hut to the car park in 1 hr 56 min with very light pack.
    Timmay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post

DON'T walk in during midday when it's a hot day as there's literally NO COVER along the way since all the eucalyptis trees were cut down a few years back.

The other benefit to walking in through the station early morning or late evening bearing in mind you can't hunt while walking through the station itself is you'll see plenty of animals out and about!!!

+1 on this way too hot between 11 and 3 ...... and always liked the fact that you got a chance to get your "eyes on" before getting to the DOC land , for some of us who dot get to hunt as often as we would like its a good to tune the senses in (seeing what phase their coat is , re-aquaint the hearing and smells etc)

Ok so on a leash, that's what I was hoping, thanks for the replies.

Poronui through to the swingbridge was always a good walk! 21/22kms I think, 4.5 hours if you gunned it. Packed out 2 deer once and was pretty much dead by the carpark, that gravel road is a killer on your feet with a heavy pack.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    Poronui through to the swingbridge was always a good walk! 21/22kms I think, 4.5 hours if you gunned it. Packed out 2 deer once and was pretty much dead by the carpark, that gravel road is a killer on your feet with a heavy pack.
    Oh yeah, tramping boots are not the best choice for the walk