Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Dogs where dogs shouldn't be..

Dogs where dogs shouldn't be..

I've been laid up resting today as I can hardly move my head after the shenanigans here the other day and been giving the hunting vids a bit of a thrashing on YouTube.
    I've noticed that there are many "youtubers" some with quite substantial follower numbers that seem to flout the rules when it comes to taking dogs into the backcountry.

Case in point
    https://youtu.be/8hH9sTJU-NQ

No, I'm not picking on this individual/group because they are women, it was just one of the ones I remembered as I have hunted this place myself and left my dog at home so it stuck out to me.

I've personally seen hunters with their dogs in areas that they are not allowed but always felt difficult about whether I should say something or not as to me the dog wasn't causing any kind of issue other than the rules saying it wasn't supposed to be there. It does seem "unfair" though when you've left your best mate at home and others seem to not worry about the rules.
    What say you forum members? Does it annoy you to see this kind of carry on? Would you pass comment if you came across it first hand?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Intersting point I've been to quite a few places that I've seen dogs and it wasn't until I got my dog that I started looking at places that she is allowed and realised they weren't supposed to be there. It does annoy me as there is potential for a few muppets to ruin it for everyone and lose further dog access. I probably wouldn't say anything unless it seemed they had no control of the dog.

Private land with landowners permission then i take my dog. But my dog gets wormed by vets every month and they give me a certificate. So in yhe truck i have a trail of paperwork to prove im not shitting the landowner.
    Public doc land here i take my dog. (Have doc dog permits)
    I go to great lengths to make sure my "mates" are still stock safe. Sadly i cannot say the same about others animals
    hamsav, BSA270 and berg243 like this.

I organize hunting trips around where I can take my dogs. If others want to take the risk then more fool to them. As above I'm unlikely to say anything but if dog or owner are showing signs of being 'idiots' then I'd be having a word to doc staff when I got back home
    Micky Duck likes this.

If dogs are not allowed then don’t take them. This is pretty selfish behaviour and runs the risk of access for all getting shutdown. As for putting it up on YouTube that’s really dumb. Hey but “look at me” wank, wank
    mikee, hamsav, piwakawaka and 1 others like this.

I always enjoy their videos. They are always happy and enjoying the outdoors.
    As for dogs, While I might think twice about taking a dog where they are not allowed, we just have too many fucken pedantic rules! If A dog shows up at a hut im staying at, it will be welcomed and allowed to share a bunk just like the humans. Good on people getting out there and enjoying the outdoors with thier dogs.
    The caveat is that they are under control.
    Micky Duck, piwakawaka and Ooops like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    One spot I hunt is No dogs allowed, but I often see more dogs than people. It's usually day trampers, and they stick to the walking track so it doesn't worry me much. There are no signs saying no dogs, but the DOC website says no dogs, but how many hikers bother to check? Or care?
    I did once get photos of a hunter and his dog on my game camera well off the track

If you're going hunting, you should have gone to he DOC site to download a permit. If you have done that you will know whether you are allowed to take your dog, whether, if you a re, it needs to be kiwi-proofed", and how many dogs you can take. There's no real need to bleat about not knowing. Some public hunting land is NO DOGS; some is conditional. Why risk your dog, or your right to hunt? Or indeed, possibly your FAL in these political times and with the police taking every opportunity to take our guns? If you're in a place where dogs are not permitted, do the ownera favour if you see them, and let them know, before DOC or the cops do.
    mikee and Russian 22. like this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I've been laid up resting today as I can hardly move my head after the shenanigans here the other day and been giving the hunting vids a bit of a thrashing on YouTube.
    I've noticed that there are many "youtubers" some with quite substantial follower numbers that seem to flout the rules when it comes to taking dogs into the backcountry.

Case in point
    https://youtu.be/8hH9sTJU-NQ

No, I'm not picking on this individual/group because they are women, it was just one of the ones I remembered as I have hunted this place myself and left my dog at home so it stuck out to me.

I've personally seen hunters with their dogs in areas that they are not allowed but always felt difficult about whether I should say something or not as to me the dog wasn't causing any kind of issue other than the rules saying it wasn't supposed to be there. It does seem "unfair" though when you've left your best mate at home and others seem to not worry about the rules.
    What say you forum members? Does it annoy you to see this kind of carry on? Would you pass comment if you came across it first hand?
    You should ask the question to them on YouTube. It would be interesting to see what they say.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Interesting question. Here's another one that another thread on wild dogs got me thinking about. If you're in a no dogs area, say with Kiwi, and you see a dog running around, do you shoot it? Like if you saw a cat you'd shoot it right?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Ned
    Local beach here a stretch is a nesting area for dotterels. Signs at the road end asking people take their dogs in the other direction. Still plenty of dog tracks up towards the nesting ground. Pretty dissapointing. There is a mile of empty beach with no nesting in the other direction. Just last week a dead kiwi found just off the Puniho track up the road killed by a dog. Inside the park which is strictly no dogs at all times.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

This absolutely, unequivocally, grinds my gears. I organise the better part of my existence around my dog. I don't go anywhere he can’t.

Theres huge tracts of both islands where I can’t ever go and hunt with my best mate ( te urewera, fiordland, aspiring etc etc) But to see people do it anyway, and not only put dog access into public land at risk, but further the reputation of hunters being selfish pricks to the general outdoors public is not something I can tolerate.

I spent a year working for Doc , living on a mainland island site. I had to jump
    through a few hoops to be allowed to get a dog for there and he still wasn’t allowed in 90 percent of the block. Part of my job was to monitor the walking tracks in the area and just be visible to the public. The amount of people I saw take their dogs into the mainland island site was unbelievable. Yet every time I tried to be polite about it, I’d get abused and threatened to the point where I’d have little choice but to walk away and hand over number plates to other staff later on. This site was also only accessible at one end with farmer permission, and it was a delicate situation at times.

People bringing dogs into places they shouldn’t be, not only flouts the rules, but potentially , at worst case scenario, could lead to a breaking of the social contract that allows hunters to hunt on public land with them. Anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I shot my friends dog (total mutt) , got shit from his whole family . We were renting a farm house ,told him not to bring it ,then told him to tie it to the veranda post ,but he said it would be fine and let it go wence it made a bee line for the ewes and lambs at the far end of the paddock and started taking hunks of wool of the ewes and flinging lambs about . I went inside ,upstairs open bedroom window, rem 7m08 on the sill, and put 140grns thru the base of its neck ( #ucking good shot actually ....nearly 200m ).
    They were all yelling and screaming at it to come and the bastard mutt stopped and looked back our way and then just carried on. Felt sorry for the kids ,who still get the odd dig in at me .....15 years later .
    Heh heh heh ...was a good shot tho, still quite chuffed about it :-))))))))))))))))))......)))))))
    Bloody good job. I got shit as a teenager when I shot at a farming neighbour's dog they couldn't be arsed tying up or Kenneling. Chased our poultry, raped (raped I say) my dad's favorite border collie bitch and generally pissed everyone off. Saw it coming across the house paddock one school morning while I was having my weetbix, got the 22, poked it out the kitchen window and emptied the mag at it. 5 shot. Wasn't exactly a match shooter and too proud to use the window sill so was doing offhand at a running target 80 odd yards away. I'd turned it around when the last shot hit its tail about a third the way down. It yelped for half a mile. Forever after it dragged it at half mast. Never came back to our farm tho.
    keneff and BSA270 like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

one comment i will make is that it can be a right pain in the ass getting kiwi aversion testing done. Not pointing finger at the contractors doing it.

up my way i suspect many don't bother.
    Call DOC to get contacts, no sessions organized, or no one calls you back. very informal etc.
    would be much better if the local DOC office could give me a list of dates and locations around northland with say 1 session a month locked in that people could go to.
    My Dog has missed 2 hunts with me last year as my kiwi aversion permits had run out.
    Partly pissed at DOC and partly at my self for not getting on to it earlier.
    Z
    ps I have no issue with an under control dog in the hut. heck most house pets would not cope outside.
    mikee and Russian 22. like this.

As a side note, I've heard the kiwi aversion training uses shock collars on the dog.
    Is this correct?
    superdiver likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.