Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dons spur

Dons spur

Going up dons spur tomorrow morning someone pleeease gimme some tips

get up early
    7mmsaum and veitnamcam like this.

what time shall i get up there? planned to be up there at 4:30 ish.
    what time shall i stay up there till??

Who's Don and what spurred him to go there?
    Gibo likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Climb high. Shoot straight.

Yep leave at 4:30 am in the dark. You want to be well up before first light. Once its shooting light find a good lookout so you can see a lot of real estate and glass hard. Dont be surprised if you dont see anything until the sun hits the faces . Good luck.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Went out this morning, blowing its tits off, so came back home. I would suggest that you are walking before 4.30, I could have shot at that hour this morning, it was light enough on the east side of the hills.
    jhunt likes this.

Get up at 2 and don't have any breakfast. Wear a little as possible and don't wear boots. It will be quieter that way. Cover any exposed part of your body with camo paint and find the coldest place you can to sit and glass. If you are still alive by sun up you have a good chance of seeing something or not.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunt View Post
    Going up dons spur tomorrow morning someone pleeease gimme some tips
    Don't go with Shearer

I missed a small stag that caught be by surprise on the track last boxing day. 11am in the morning so be prepared anytime of the day.

Find a good vantage point and let the binos do the walking. If it’s blowing the concentrate your efforts in sheltered areas. I reckon sika hate the wind more than they hate getting wet.
    Nathan F and 7mmsaum like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Yep leave at 4:30 am in the dark. You want to be well up before first light. Once its shooting light find a good lookout so you can see a lot of real estate and glass hard. Dont be surprised if you dont see anything until the sun hits the faces . Good luck.
    You buggers are lucky, its starting to get light here at 4:30am currently...

Good luck with the hunt
    veitnamcam likes this.

When you are bored and sick of looking, and want to go home, don't. Tough it out. I find mid morning and mid afternoon quite productive too. They don't just lay down all day, they get up for a nibble and stretch from time to time.

Another way to relieve your boredom if you are just glassing is to get onto a narrow spur/ridge and change from side to side. Also, you will find that if you change your possie by even just 15 yards you might get a brand new perspective of the area you are looking into and see things you hadn't seen from the previous spot.

If you are not certain that what you are looking at is a deer, mark its position by a feature near by and go back to it every now and again to see if it has move. Or put your binos down, rest your eyes and then go back to it. You are likely to see it clearer then.

Lastly, if you do spot a deer, don't take your binos off it until you have observed the features around it and are sure that you can find it again. Heaps of people, including me, have spotted a deer and then not been able to find it again.

Lastly, lastly. If you are with a mate, don't be afraid to say "I think I can see one", even if you are unsure. Mark it, and then direct your mate to it for a look. There are big differences between binos and individual vision. And 4 eyes are better than 2.

Real, lastly. The usual rule is the person who spots it gets the shot. Unless its me with my sons, and then I always get the shot. Even if I have to elbow them out of the way.
    DAF, Nathan F, 7mmsaum and 9 others like this.

Thanks Tahr mean feedback and tips. And thanks every one else. i was thinking start walking at 2? and its a 2 hour walk so be up there for 4 and start glassing even before the sunlight when the tops light up? How long would you glass for? like the whole time ? ive never got a deer but go out every weekend been out about ten times now. would you glass almost all of the time? Saw my first deer last weeken up dons and i was only an hour into the walk.

As in you went up dons this morning? i went up two weekends ago and it was freezing and blowing hard out. is there still point getting up the tops and having a glass when its like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Went out this morning, blowing its tits off, so came back home. I would suggest that you are walking before 4.30, I could have shot at that hour this morning, it was light enough on the east side of the hills.

I'd rather be in the sack at 430am
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive