Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Allgood

Thread: Duck shooting - West Auckland way (Kumeu) - opportunity

Duck shooting - West Auckland way (Kumeu) - opportunity

I got approached by a lifestyle block dweller earlier today asking if I could cull some ducks.
    It's not something I was interested in doing but said I would put out the word.

Anyone interested in knocking off some ducks?

The reason they want them culled is because they apparently have salmonella which they have spread to other animals, so eating them may be out. - I'm no expert, and thought all birds were just infested with Salmonella so no sure what the issue is......

would be suggesting a word with fish and game first. Would only take 1 neighbour to complaint and you could have an issue.
    I know there is opportunity for the land owner or nominated party to protect crop's.
    Z

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Kumeu is fairly built up now. I would be cautious wherever it is.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Pm sent

Contact Auckland/Waikato Fish and game. Sometimes all is not what appears to be. Here is an example.

I was contacted a few years ago by a 'lifestyler' who raised domestic ducks for sale on his property. He made a good living from gate sales for birds and duck eggs etc but was overrun by mallards which were camped out on his property, especially at feeding time. He also had 'problems' with diseases being introduced to his domestic ducks by wild birds.
    A quick inspection showed on the face of it that there were large numbers of mallards which had taken up permanent residence. When I asked him to show me how he fed his domestic birds he simply let his domestic birds out of their pens then scattered large quantities of feed by hand over the paddock next to the pens. It then became a competition between the wild and domestic ducks for food. I then suggested to him that the problem was easily solvable by feeding his birds while they were in their pens and that denying the wild birds a free feed would soon result in the problem birds heading for greener pastures.

He got pissed off and told me I didnt know what I was talking about.......( I have been a Wildlife ranger for the past 40 yrs). I politely but firmly told him that I would not recommend a permit being issued until he had tried less lethal methods of solving the problem. He eventually came around and changed his feeding methods and the mallards departed. When I contacted F&G and explained the situation and the 'solution' I found out that he had already been spoken to after making numerous requests for a cull permit, and had been refused for the above reasons.
    I also noted that he was surrounded by other 'lifestylers' who all had horses on their properties which would have created a nightmare ( no pun intended) if a cull was to be carried out..............
    Barefoot likes this.

Sounds too good to be true.... must be a catch...bound to be issues...compliance, neighbours,complaints...sigh.... wouldn’t have to travel far though....
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...