Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By R93

Thread: East versus west chamois

East versus west chamois

Got a couple weeks leave up my sleeve heading south to do a bit tussock jumping ,legs trained up need a bit info on best side to hunt heard east has bit horn rot true / false , heard good things on whataroa area ? Haven't hunted them before so if any one keen for a tag along share costs pm me ,just putting it out there if not any info gladly received

If Uend up in the Lewis pass area pm me and i'll tag along for a few days, got atrip lined up nextweek though

bit early don't get there till first week may ,heading Whaktane first then down ,good luck Lewis nice place mate

Horn rot definitely more common west coast....Whataroa valley good place to have a look.

Went up whataroa over xmas saw a few chamois. Where u intending on going
    #BallisticFists

West coast is definately more likely to hold animals with horn rot, have seen some very good bucks (and does for that matter) that were let down by the fact they only had one horn, and shot what would have been my best buck to date on the west coast but by the time he had finished his little tumble down a creek he was missing a horn which was a bit of a kick in the guts!, dont let that put you off though as plenty of good chams still come out of the west coast. My opinion is that you will find animals easier on the west coast, but have more chance of a quality buck on the east coast.

R93
    Buck chamois and Bull thar unlike most deer species are all potential trophies if they are allowed to get some age on them.
    Horn rot is prevalent at lower altitudes on the west coast like around Fox and Franz and the coastal areas.

Considering 9/10 of the top nz trophies have come from the west coast I would say your best bet of a trophy is the coast. In saying that my opinion is Fiordland and parts of Southland and Otago would have the best chams per capita at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Dreamer likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I used to live in Whataroa, you can't go wrong there it's as good as any on the coast. Most locals are after the reds and tahr so there are plenty around.