Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Ethical use of deer

Ethical use of deer

I'm just interested to see what peoples views are on this.

For me I consider deer to be a far superior animal than any other and I respect them more than I do a lot of people I know! Whenever I shoot an animal I feel fine feeding it to dogs as dog tucker and I go out some days just to smack a roo, hare, rabbit or sometimes one of the old mans crippled sheep for dog meat and it doesn't bother me. But would anyone shoot a deer purely for dog tucker?
    I'm thinking about it but I already feel too guilty as I hate feeling as though I'm wasting them.
    Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

BH

My dogs only get the bones !
    So if you feed venison to the dogs do you buy yourself dog roll for tea?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

mmm dog roll!

I should add a farmer has asked HH2 and I to shoot a couple he wants gone but we both have chocka block freezers. I'd at least take the undercut and backstraps for myself though

My hound gets the bones, any skin (loves it) and all the trimmings.

I have to carry deer far to far to be feeding to the dog and I like it too much to be sharing, well with the dog anyways!

Cheers

Dino
    308 likes this.
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Yes, every now and then if we are short of dog tucker at the farm we will shoot a deer to feed them. Take the best cuts for ourselves and dogs get the rest. Never less than 15 working dogs take a lot of feeding, they are an expensive asset to the farm and deserve it on occasion. We can also afford to when we have managed the wild deer numbers to be at a level where this is sustainable.
    Munsey and kiwi39 like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Its only a deer just like any animal. I only rate them higher because theres not as many.
    Haggie likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I think no animal should go to waste. Dogs need to eat just the same as we do. The only difference is they don't care if it's a tough old billy goat or a premium deer yearling and we do. Would be a shame to give such beautiful meat as backsteaks to the dogs, but a deer is no more living than an old billy, so it's equally as important not to waste either.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    gadgetman, bully and Mac like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    I think no animal should go to waste. Dogs need to eat just the same as we do. The only difference is they don't care if it's a tough old billy goat or a premium deer yearling and we do. Would be a shame to give such beautiful meat as backsteaks to the dogs, but a deer is no more living than an old billy, so it's life ought not to be wasted just the same.

Funny you should say that, I've seen many huntaways turn their nose up at a feed of billy goat
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Got a local rsa you could donate it to?
    kiwi39 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Funny you should say that, I've seen many huntaways turn their nose up at a feed of billy goat
    Get a lab hahaha

JoshC, GravelBen, Toby and 3 others like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    My answer to your question is "NO".
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    mmm dog roll!

I should add a farmer has asked HH2 and I to shoot a couple he wants gone but we both have chocka block freezers. I'd at least take the undercut and backstraps for myself though

I give alot away to freinds and family,also payed a guy to paint my house with veni.
    Plenty of uses/barter value for it (remember that prime cuts(here at least) run 50-60 bucks a kilo in the supermarket if it is there at all!)

Rather than feed your dogs there must be someone to donate to? I gave a heap of prime steak to the rest home my grandma was staying in before she died. Also periodically donate to a church that provides free cooked lunches to down and outers, I litterally lived off those lunches for 6 months way back and its good to give back.

Even if you have no freinds or family who need or like venison Im sure you can think of a worthy cause and do the right thing
    Dino, phillipgr, Toby and 2 others like this.

in my mind it really depends on the deer species and the abundance of animals, I wouldn't shoot a Fallow deer for dog food but have shot Sambar specifically as dog food. At the end of the day if you need to feed dogs and you don't have the ability to feed them with your food of choice you get them what ever you can.

Quote Originally Posted by lostlegend View Post
    in my mind it really depends on the deer species and the abundance of animals, I wouldn't shoot a Fallow deer for dog food but have shot Sambar specifically as dog food. At the end of the day if you need to feed dogs and you don't have the ability to feed them with your food of choice you get them what ever you can.
    I agree, own dogs then you have a responsibility to keep them fed.
    I dont know BHs circumstances but the way it read is not that his dogs are starving but his freezer is full.
    yep mine have eaten steak out of the freezer on occasion when there was no dog tucker and no money. have also swapped it to a mate for any freezer burnt shit in his freezer for the dogs cos it broke my heart to see them eating prime steak and the effort that went into getting it.

What the heck, is there not a newbie in your area that needs putting onto their first deer?

Many hungry mouths around, I know of another good friend of mine who meat hunts for poorer families. How would that be to go from eating baked beans three meals a day to having some prime venison. Smack it over I say, you'll find a freezer!
    veitnamcam and jord like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt