Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arsenal Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Fallow Deer - a very Black and White issue

Fallow Deer - a very Black and White issue

Today I saw my first ever wild fallow deer.....around these parts at least......two in fact.

Sitting over looking a paddock waiting for pigs to appear this morning, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a lone sheep wander out of a small water course. I didn't really pay much attention to it other than note that there shouldn't be any sheep up on this block. It was about 250 meters away and was intent on crossing a large open area browsing only occasionally along the way. And then something struck me about this sheep....couldn't put my finger on it but there was something different about it. Turned in my seated position and put the binoculars on it, and bugger me sideways, it's a smallish white buck with antlers, definitely 4 points, possibly 6. It is getting further away making a bead line for the forest. No chance in even thinking about shooting it as I only have the .223 and 55gr GameKings. Yes, I know, others may have been able to do it, but I know my limitations.....and anyway, I was quite happy just watching it.

Well, I thought I had seen all I was going to see today when another fallow pops out of the same water course. This time it is a doe and she is black, in fact quite dark black, no hint of brown at all. She doesn't waste time and quickly runs and catches up with the buck and then they disappear over the brow of the hill into the forest. Total viewing time, about 45 seconds, and this was at 08:13 am.

When I got home later i looked up these animals but there was no indication of how often these variations of colour occur. What are the chances of seeing a pure white buck, or a black doe???? What are the chances of seeing both at the same time together???? It was an omen I thought.....I bought a Lotto ticket....

Cheers
    Phil

I shot a white buck that was feeding with 2 black does, seen every color variation imaginable on a couple of well populated blocks.
    Colour variation is quite common in fallow in my experience everything from white, orange, dark brown to black not unusual.
    I love watching fallow they are cool little critters.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    #DANNYCENT

If it wasnt dark id get the spotting scope out and take a photo through it for you..... Quite a few white ones about down here and most of the herd is Melanistic which often are nearly black
    7mmsaum, Pengy, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, , 9.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I shot a white buck that was feeding with 2 black does, seen every color variation imaginable on a couple of well populated blocks.
    Colour variation is quite common in fallow in my experience everything from white, orange, dark brown to black not unusual.
    He didnt happen to be singing a certain INXS song at the time did he ??
    Micky Duck likes this.
    'Bother' said Pooh, as he chambered another round ... Wong Far King Way

Obviously the colour variation is more common than I would have thought. Lets hope that there are more of these little deer to be seen here.

Cheers
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I thought there was an unwritten rule to not shoot the white ones
    time out, planenutz and Phil_H like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I thought there was an unwritten rule to not shoot the white ones
    This was not on that block
    Pengy, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Good job my white freezers not racist - there's three of them black ones in there at the mo!

Well done Phil in seeing them,they are nice to watch for the 1st viewing.Cunning as,like little ghosts in the bush.Bloody hard to find and get a shot on them.They be back again if theres food around.All taste the same even if the colours are different.
    Phil_H and Ftx325 like this.

Here ya go...
    Name:  FB_IMG_1620677036978.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  52.2 KB

Sorry crappy phone photo but you get the idea
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, , 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    If it wasnt dark id get the spotting scope out and take a photo through it for you..... Quite a few white ones about down here and most of the herd is Melanistic which often are nearly black
    Yep, those colour combinations occur around here too - especially the black. The white ones turn up from time to time as well, which are pretty cool. There are several mobs of white ones farmed locally.

That would have been a really neat experience @Phil_H and no doubt you'll be spending lots of weekends back there trying to track that buck down. They're quite territorial so if he doesn't get disturbed he won't be far away. Look forward to some photos.

I’ve heard that some people use the white ones as ‘Judas deer’ so it is easier to see others. White just sticks out like a sore thumb so t is easier to see where the rest of the herd might be. They don’t shoot the white ones because the white ones are so useful for locating animals.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    I’ve heard that some people use the white ones as ‘Judas deer’ so it is easier to see others. White just sticks out like a sore thumb so t is easier to see where the rest of the herd might be. They don’t shoot the white ones because the white ones are so useful for locating animals.
    Yep that.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

The white ones seem to be aware that they are white also. Spend quite a bit of time observing them and they definately seem a bit more on edge and sneakier than the others, always the first to bolt for cover.
    I had to laugh a while back as there is one white doe in particular that I recognise, have been within 10m of her and she's actually quite an old animal greying around the muzzle etc, and she's always very sneaky but we had a big snowfall and on the second day with snow on the ground came across her, by herself, way out in the open several hundred metres from any cover. It was as if she was saying to the others "ha! Who's the smarty pants now! I knew my day would come!"
    10! has 270 divisors

They are around, I shot a nice Buck in the Mount Richardson area.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.