Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cooee Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: Fallow Deer - a very Black and White issue

brave man saying that considering you work with him !!
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    brave man saying that considering you work with him !!
    Rank has privilege ......nah me and Phil are all good take as good as I give
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    careful he might bite you on the knee cap
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I thought you were a school teacher?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I thought you were a school teacher?
    Yup
    #DANNYCENT

Despite all the normal colours mentioned there was a very small group aways back in the Caples area that were known as The rare( Yellow Fallow).
    They resembled that of a yellow Labrador dog...very yellowish in colour with no distinct spots etc.
    Me myself and I actually came onto one back around 67 ish,,out on the flats with a dozen or so black ones,,it really did stand out with the greenery.
    The odd Whitetail were seen on occasion as well.
    Others over time talked about these little yellow Fallow,I believe some dude wrote about them??

I think a "yellow fallow" is just a young white one as they are a very creamy almost golden lab colour (as you have attested too) for the first year or so before they get a bit paler
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, , 9.

We seem to get lots of different colours here
    Lots of black and white stags, they seem very nomadic and come and go.
    But the others are always about somewhere

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

peel forest estate has quite a number of white reds now....50 or more at a guesstimate.....
    I like the pattern/colour of the common fallow but normally only see the dark ones.
    Padox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I think a "yellow fallow" is just a young white one as they are a very creamy almost golden lab colour (as you have attested too) for the first year or so before they get a bit paler
    Gidday Ryan..Yeah I'm very familiar with the immature white Fallow colour. The yellow one I was referring to was a buck with ok palms.
    Around a year or so further on a mature Hind with the same colouring was spotted and shot at the entrance to the Passburn area..Greenstone.
    I believe that particular Hind ended up in some article or such. To this day I have never seen another with that colouring in any area.
    I spent many months in and around the Caples and Greenstone chasing the wee buggers but never a second one with that colouring appeared.
    Nothing from your area also ever came close eh.
    cheers
    Last edited by doinit; 11-05-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Despite all the normal colours mentioned there was a very small group aways back in the Caples area that were known as The rare( Yellow Fallow).
    They resembled that of a yellow Labrador dog...very yellowish in colour with no distinct spots etc.
    Me myself and I actually came onto one back around 67 ish,,out on the flats with a dozen or so black ones,,it really did stand out with the greenery.
    The odd Whitetail were seen on occasion as well.
    Others over time talked about these little yellow Fallow,I believe some dude wrote about them??
    @doinit I remember that ,the Lab colored one was supposed to have had a nice rack on it,it is funny you mention this as the other week when the big SI Whitetail head picture was going around, the first thing l thought of was l wonder how those Caples Whitetail there got on ,there was supposed of been a nice head poached there under the white dog years ago.

@Phil_H You did the right thing passing them up when you were unsure ,the sign of a good hunter,if you do get a chance to take one they are great eating ,l love using Fallow in venison stir fries the flesh seems really suited to it & well prepared/cooked, ie very Med rare, back straps will just melt in the mouth.They have nice skins for rugs & l even had one made into a Shotgun slip l used for years that was great.

Good luck with the hunt & how is the missus healing ? Are you getting used to only getting 3/4 of a finger wagged at you ?
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    peel forest estate has quite a number of white reds now....50 or more at a guesstimate.....
    I like the pattern/colour of the common fallow but normally only see the dark ones.
    We prob have a couple of hundred white reds now days md
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

Here is a pretty one. Young spiker stag had brow tines only and he had knocked the beams out of the centre of the coronets sometime previously.
    Name:  20210330_072523.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  6.72 MB
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @doinit I remember that ,the Lab colored one was supposed to have had a nice rack on it,it is funny you mention this as the other week when the big SI Whitetail head picture was going around, the first thing l thought of was l wonder how those Caples Whitetail there got on ,there was supposed of been a nice head poached there under the white dog years ago.
    Bloody hell we could be talkin about the same Buck I seen away back then.
    The late Alan Harrison was chasing around after a huge White Fallow buck around the Steeles crk area aways back. I'm sure he did finally get him.
    It was seen by trampers on several occasions and by myself but only a quick glimpse,,he was great.