Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By Delphus

Thread: Far South Island doc deer hunt ?

Far South Island doc deer hunt ?

Hi, unlike me to ask for spots to hunt but I am heading down to the mighty Invercargill early December to visit a mate who has not hunted much. I am looking for recommendations for a general area that holds deer on doc land for a few days hunting. It’s been many years since he shot a deer so looking forward to taking him out.

Hopefully with in a couple hours drive and happy to walk in for a few kms too.

Not looking for your spot x but if you prefer to private message me I will not share with others.

Also slim chance, but if any one has access through Private land I can offer a Sika hunt in Kaweka or kiamanawa next time you up this way?

Thanks in advance.

Not local down that way by any stretch but I hunted Kiwi Burn (out towards Te Anau) a while ago and thought it was a great spot. Easy going, good hut, lots of deer. I'm sure there would be much closer spots to Invers though.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Have a look and see when the catlins last had the green rain, failing that lake hauroko / borland area, think the longwoods get a bit of a hammering but know there are animals in there

Quote " can point you to a couple different spots within hour drive of invers . if you have access to a good 4wd or a couple quads can point you to another area has less deer numbers but may get a look at a chamois if you lucky and fit."

Hi, Yes should be able to organize a 4x4 for access. Are you able to PM me ? Thanks

Put in for a blue Mountain block
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Actually... Scrap that, closed through December.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Mate, Longwoods is worth a look, gets alot of traffic but, the old logging tracks are all worth stalking off which lead off the main rd heading to Bald hill.

Takitimu mtns also worth a look, day hunt from Princhester hut or head up the Aparima.
    Shearer likes this.

Google Waipohatu Falls Track - its out towards the Catlins and there are a heap of deer in that area, just go up past the wee camper van area

I went for a day hunt in the caitlins a month or so ago. Didn’t see any deer (first time bush stalking so probably scared them off) but saw heaps of very fresh sign. Plenty of deer in there
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Google Waipohatu Falls Track - its out towards the Catlins and there are a heap of deer in that area, just go up past the wee camper van area
    I pig hunt down the catlin's regularly, pretty tight coastal bush for deer stalking in general unless you know your spots really well. Plenty of open beech forest blocks around further north in southland and out towards te anau, could've given you a block that holds a few but it'll be closed at that time. Anywhere northern southland/southern otago out towards fiordland has endless hunting with plenty of animals and unreal country.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    I pig hunt down the catlin's regularly, pretty tight coastal bush for deer stalking in general unless you know your spots really well. Plenty of open beech forest blocks around further north in southland and out towards te anau, could've given you a block that holds a few but it'll be closed at that time. Anywhere northern southland/southern otago out towards fiordland has endless hunting with plenty of animals and unreal country.
    Thanks to all who have pointed me in some good directions and I agree. I think I will look at other spots before the Catlin's. I will be looking over maps and topo photos etc for the next few weeks with just this info.

One thing I forgot to mention that this was not just a day hunt. it could be as much a three nights in the bush. If this changes any thing you suggested... let me know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sika stag View Post
    Thanks to all who have pointed me in some good directions and I agree. I think I will look at other spots before the Catlin's. I will be looking over maps and topo photos etc for the next few weeks with just this info.

One thing I forgot to mention that this was not just a day hunt. it could be as much a three nights in the bush. If this changes any thing you suggested... let me know?
    I'll send you a pm