Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BRADS

Thread: Father and son roar trip?

Father and son roar trip?

G'day all,

I've managed to get the second week of the school holidays off (11 - 18 April) and plan to take my 14 year old boy on his first red roar. I've had him in after the sika before but he's never heard the reds in action. Unfortunately I've left it a bit late and all the central north island helicopter operators appear to be heavily booked (and I guess if they run R44's, grounded!).

I must confess, I haven't chased the reds myself for a number of years and am after any options.

I've been toying with the eastern Ruahines although the knees aren't what they used to be as a result of failed reconstructive surgery some years back. They'll cope but I think anything over 4 hours with full pack will bugger me for a few days (however, I'll swallow a couple of concrete pills if guaranteed to get onto some deer!). Has anyone had recent issues with vehicle security in the Kashmir Road area?

I am also considering hauling the boat down from Whangarei and hunting Waikaremoana as an alternative option. I have some safety reservations about this as I would anticipate it to be very busy.

Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers fellas,

Andy

Kashmir is quite steep man. you might find it easier driving up takapari road and finding a nice patch to hunt a few hours from the road?

No issues at Kashmir mate.....,apart from people. Helicopters Hawkes bay fly into the ruas at very reasonable prices. Ring Jimmy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    199p likes this.

Thanks for the advice BRADS and 199p. Going up isn't too much of an issue, it's coming down where the problem lies although investing in a couple of walking poles may alleviate that - I'm certainly willing to give it a nudge. I was considering Long View but as you say BRADS, may be busy.

Jimmy responded to an email I sent him just after I'd submitted this post. Recommended calling him mid March to get a better indication on blocks / huts.

Any thoughts on Waikaremoana as an alternative? I know there have been recent issues with the Iwi but sounds like this may have been resolved.

Cheers.

Long view is nearly always busy, at that time of the year there will be people all over the place. I would go Waikaremoana but that like all places you can drive to and walk in, it will be busy.

This map will give you a good idea where can/cannot hunt around Waikaemoana

Hunting Areas : Tuhoe

Thanks POME, yeah, thought as much. I'm picking Waikaremoana will be much the same with hunter activity. I suspect both areas will also have had a hammering over the Easter weekend. The option of flying into the head of the Pohangina or similar area with central hawks bay helicopters is still open, however at $1500 will need to find another hunter or two interested in sharing the cost.

And cheers Sako75, yep, I got a permit through the Te Urewera Board in anticipation of going. Checked their site and had a look at the map. Would certainly be looking at pushing well past the red zone with a view to getting away from walking traffic. From memory the beach is pretty open on the western side of the lake and am planning on the odd night away from the lake under fly.

Thanks for your advice fellas, keep it coming.