Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Favorite Hut in Wellington/Kapiti/Wairarapa?

Favorite Hut in Wellington/Kapiti/Wairarapa?

Hey all,

A buddy and I are looking to spend a few days out hunting on DoC land and I'm looking for some tips on which areas/huts are best for a 3-day trip. We'd like to get as much time in as possible so a 2-4hr tramp to the hut would be ideal. Deer are our primary target btw. I'm thinking Mangatoetoe?

Cheers,

- Jay C.

yea man, theres a few deer around orongorongas and karapoti/maungatuks if your looking at DOC land hunting in wgtn. alot more walking than hunting though until you get to know the areas and deer movements but if you hunt it enough youll get the rewards.

We decided on the Tutuwai hut for our mid-week hunt. My buddy got a young deer there last time he went through so we at least know they're around. The DoC website says they're removing the gas cooking facilities from the hut during that week so we're hoping all that activity doesn't throw a wrench in our plans.

Go over cone to tutwai. Last time I did it was 2h45 on the dot. Better than that shit of a track from kaitoke and just as much chance of seeing something
    aetchell likes this.

Went up Mangatoetoe yesterday in the shit weather, Didnt find anything worth of having a crack at.. afew goats along the way, by the looks of things you have to head quite a reasnoble way in.... first time in that partiuclar area so maybe i was looking in the wrong place lol

Quote Originally Posted by tikka 7/08 View Post
    Went up Mangatoetoe yesterday in the shit weather, Didnt find anything worth of having a crack at.. afew goats along the way, by the looks of things you have to head quite a reasnoble way in.... first time in that partiuclar area so maybe i was looking in the wrong place lol
    You're keen mate, yesterday was shite in Wellington! I was feeling sorry for myself just taking the dog for a run!
    tikka 7/08 likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    You're keen mate, yesterday was shite in Wellington! I was feeling sorry for myself just taking the dog for a run!
    hahaha -- new rifle, i couldnt wait to get out for a blast, Ended up wet within 20 minutes crossing the river so i figured id keep going, only went 9kms up the river, over several ridges before enough was enough... saw nothing but afew goats... will wait for the next fine weekend and head further in for a lookie

Saturday was the day to get out that's for sure! "Only went 9ks" jesus I'd be sleeping well after that I think, life after the army has been far too good for me hahaha.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

thats a pretty standard hunt round here 8-15km is my usual day hunt, most ive done in a day was 23ish k's

The last weekend out in the bush was about 17k's, I was happy to be back at the car at the end of it out of practice much?!

Thanks for the tip scoped, it's Manual Man (from F'n'H) and I going out so we'll definitely take the shorter walk over the shyte one :-D

I take it that you mean heading to the Cone hut from the Waiohine Gorge campsite then down to the Tutuwai hut is easiest?

Yeah, youll cross the bridge then up the short 40 min gutbuster. Then carry on along cone ridge and take the first turn off down to cone hut. Tutuwai is 40 to 50 mins downstream of cone hut. The shorter walk is offset by slightly longer drive time tho

That's fine by me ha ha ha, it said on the DoC site that you have to ford a river to get to the Waiohine gorge campsite? Hopefully it's not too nasty since Manual Man's car has tyres the size of dinner plates and as much ground clearance as a Corgi ha ha.

Nah, my civic goes in there sweet. Its a ford yeah, but you can piss over the width of it! And its only ankle deep

hi, i would go back to the mangatoetoe, on a good day you should see more deer there than in the tarauas,try the left fork, r/side, sidle up to the head of the little mangatoetoe. or follow track up river towards kawa kawa saddle then hunt to your right, keep up high and hunt back down main ridge back to the hut. i meat hunted and possum trapped this area in the 70s and early 80s