Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree27Likes
  • 23 Post By Wingman
  • 3 Post By Wingman
  • 1 Post By Flyblown

Thread: Filling the freezer

Filling the freezer

Had a cracker of a meat hunt with @Flyblown last week.
    Spent plenty of time relaxing and sitting around in front of the fire due to some unsettled weather but woke up on Wednesday to a clear day. I was up at first light making us coffee and Flyblown was enjoying a sleep in as I glassed the nearby hills. I spotted a mob of fallow in the foot hills and a second mob of reds higher up and grazing there way up to the ridge. Rather than waking the sleeping princess with a boom (he needs his beauty sleep) I opted to film them as they dissapeared over the ridge at about 400 meters.
    After a good cooked breakfast and a few coffees Flyblown devised a plan to stalk up closer to them over the ridge.
    So we packed light and geared up to climb a steep face to a spur position that over looked the clearings he suspected they would be heading to.
    A short time later we got to the top and Flyblown had predicted correctly and were looking over the clearings with the reds visible from 200 to 300 meters away.
    I got set up with the Desert tech and my new lightweight 19.5" long 6.5 Creedmoor barrel running 147gr ELDMs at 2730fps. Flyblown ranged them and I dialed them in..

Name:  20191021_164353.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  3.42 MB

Name:  Screenshot_20191022-211902_Video Player.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  544.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20191022-211923_Video Player.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  602.3 KB

The 147s have confirmed themselves as very suitable hunting bullets to me and these two were no exception. Both dropped with a shot to the boiler room and did a great job at not destroying the fore quaters with over explosive jelly making properties. They passed through leaving a 50c sized exit wound but gave plenty of lung damage.

Name:  20191021_154059.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  3.22 MB

We made our way over to them along the ridge and got to work boning them out and packing them up to walk back.
    In most cases Ive recovered whole animals with the help of a quad bike but the location of these ones meant a reasonable walk out on slippery ground so I was pretty keen to try the "gut in" boning out method on one which worked really well. I managed to take the back straps, hind and fore quarters and even the tender loins without busting into the gut which saved a bit of time and weight for sure.
    Flyblown went for the gutting first option on the other animal.
    With heavy full packs and a tribal style long stick between us over our shoulders with 4 hind quarters threaded on we made our way back to a track where we could get access with a 4x4 side by side. For the ride back for a feed and few cold beers.

Name:  20191022_112853.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  5.40 MB

Name:  20191022_124715.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  3.53 MB

Name:  20191022_124116.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  5.16 MB

Name:  20191022_131253.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  3.53 MB

The following day was another wet one but cleared enough in the afternoon for a great varminting session.
    We spent a couple of hours on a hillside over looking a rabbit and hare hot spot with my .22 TCM CZ 527 Varmint rig with 40gr Z-Max's at 3100fps and Flyblown behind his .223Rem Tikka super varmint with 50gr Zmax.
    Had an absolute blast popping bunnies out to 160ish meters with the .22TCM (limited by my 6 power scope Id just fitted for pest shooting around my section) and Flyblown made some cracker longer shots of 280m on a couple of hares.
    Starting to get dark we headed back on the quad and picked up quite a few more while also mastering the countdown double kills..
    Flyblown decided it was too much fun to go back for dinner so we continued to about 10pm with his LED torch while driving the flats and cleaning up about another 50 rabbits and hares with the .22 TCM.
    A very fun little rifle that was pretty much perfect for this job..

Name:  20191023_184843.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  3.67 MB

Name:  20191023_185308.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  4.08 MB

Another big thanks to Flyblown for his well educated guiding skills that put is in front of deer and his spotting/ranging that made for a fun week and filled the freezer once again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Wingman; 29-10-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, outdoorlad and 20 others like this.

Man this forum does some weird shit???? Why am I laying on the ceiling? It was steep going in places but not that steep..
    nor-west, Mooseman and Joe_90 like this.

Solid work team

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Man this forum does some weird shit???? Why am I laying on the ceiling? It was steep going in places but not that steep..
    Maybe it was steeper than you realised at the time.....
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Nothing wrong with da Forum !!

Get yourself a Photo Editor (free online) and while you at it - learn to resize "down" the photo size
    Some of us are not on unlimited Gigs and to many on here load 4-7MB pics and makes for slow looking with Rural Broadband (non cable link)

Hers is a good Photo Editor
    Free Shareware
    ACDSee Photo editor

https://www.acdsee.com/en/products/a...-10/thank-you/

I have all that crap on my pc but this was uploaded from my phone and was the right way up there.. removed it and added a different one and it decided to include it at the bottom anyway.. and upside down.. there was no link to edit or delete it either.. never had these issues with any other forums Ive used.

I have all that crap on my pc but this was uploaded from my phone and was the right way up there.. removed it and added a different one and it decided to include it at the bottom anyway.. and upside down.. there was no link to edit or delete it either.. never had these issues with any other forums Ive used.
    I use phone to do all my boot profile advert pics etc and prob half are upside down for some reason - yes - on phone look correct but when added transferred or linked to another application they show upside down
    But - I do wish this platform did auto downsizing (like Trade Me etc) - had some pics on here 8 - 12mb and I cant look with my remote rural Broadband which I am grateful to have out in the sticks.
    This Forum and others are working off an old system/platform I imagine.

Huk
    HAHA Great pics even if your lying on the ceiling

Huk
    PS Is that rifle of yours a bull pup type

Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    PS Is that rifle of yours a bull pup type
    Sure is

Huk
    Sure is
    Thanks just googled them,shit bloody neat

Got to love private land

Choice time spent on the hill with plenty of good venison for the freezer Well Done.

Awesome stuff

Its cool to have a way to photo or video what you're shooting, when I'm on my own I can never be bothered because the deer browse their way off the clearing in seconds and they're gone, but with a mate its a worthwhile exercise some of the time. Not all of the time though, sometimes you just don't have the chance.

Here's a few photos from when I was busy being a stealthy fat bastard trying to wriggle under old fences and commando crawl (ha!) into position, @Wingman was taking photos from behind (and trying not to laugh).

In this instance, I'd spotted two hinds that had come out onto a face across the way, at 325yd from memory. I had the trusty 18" .308 Tikka in the DPT Hunter chassis, and using the Zeiss BDC reticle dropped a couple of Speer 165gr BTSP into them. Very very efficient killer this bullet. Wingman doesn't like them cos they don't have pretty colourful tips and they're old fashioned like me.

Name:  F8339CD1-511C-4A49-A948-E800ABA1A2B3.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  210.9 KB

Name:  AF73C18D-36ED-4BA0-93A3-8C54850062CC.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  185.4 KB

Name:  67026460-205B-466B-85C4-669BB785EA8A.jpeg
Views: 161
Size:  244.9 KB

Name:  1439A410-7E1D-4FF3-BA26-40141550A10C.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  280.6 KB