Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Mr300WSM
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By hunterAT
  • 3 Post By Martin358
  • 4 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By chindit
  • 1 Post By MB

Thread: Firearms hire, is it possible

Firearms hire, is it possible

My son and his lady are of on a South Island trip in a campervan. He has various plans and has been given a spot for a Chamois hunt near Greymouth. He has a FAL but the problem is storage in the vehicle of firearms when they are not near the van away fishing ect. Is there any places down that way that hire out a rifle and scope. Not looking for the latest greatest just something serviceable He is away the end of the week for around a month. Do places like Gun city, Hunting and Fishing hire out.

yes definately,and you get a guide to go along for free.........never heard of a shop doing so,the logistics of doing so are mind boggling. you MAYBE could purchase for said price with agreement to buy back at lower price in a set amount of time...hire by default.....good luck finding someone to do so....gun shitty may be cash hungry enough to do it.
    tetawa likes this.

Might be easier to find someone here willing to put it in there safe while he is not using it, I would think it would be a struggle to find one to use down here.

Many years ago, Gunworks hired rifles. Certainly not the in thing these day. But there should be enough folk on here that could assist with storage in various locations.

I'll willing, but in Canterbury.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Prior to my NZ trip I checked this option (even though I ended up bringing my own rifle). Didn't find any places that would hire out firearms.

But as Micky Duck suggested some places offer to sell and rebuy firearms. Shooter Supplies in Christchurch does. Same for Gun City if I remember correctly.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

maybe the local gang would help
    gonebush, Growlybear and Boaraxa like this.

Here's how I'd tackle it - ask (being upfront about a short term of ownership) a local Gunshop if they will sell a secondhand rifle with a "trial" period, and then take it back with a small fee deducted for its use from your refund . . .

Thanks guys. Think he is going to try and buy---sell from a shop. Dont know when or if he will get there as he is chasing big ass trout, which may take up all available time.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I think I saw somewhere in the new laws they Stopped overseas visitors from doing this. Your from the north island so technically it is over a sea good luck hope you have a great trip
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MB
    I've run in to similar problems when I travel south for a hunt. The best legal solution I've come up with is buy takedown rifle and take it everywhere I go.
    NRT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterAT View Post
    Prior to my NZ trip I checked this option (even though I ended up bringing my own rifle). Didn't find any places that would hire out firearms.

But as Micky Duck suggested some places offer to sell and rebuy firearms. Shooter Supplies in Christchurch does. Same for Gun City if I remember correctly.
    Be careful of this option. I had Swedish friends do this and for one they got a very poor buy back price, and then the guy kept making excuses why he couldn't send them the money, or deal with me to get their money too them. It wasn't until they walked back through the door some 5 years later that they succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    I think I saw somewhere in the new laws they Stopped overseas visitors from doing this. Your from the north island so technically it is over a sea good luck hope you have a great trip
    As far as I know they only intended to stop overseas visitors from doing this but did not implement this intention. At least that's what Andrew (Shooter Supplies) told me early last year.

I hired a rifle from the gun shop in Greymouth circa 2014. I planned to take my own, but my airline let me down at the last minute and refused to fly my rifle. Hired the rifle for 5 days as I was out of other options. I did have a visitors firearms licence, but I’m guessing it’s not so easy now.