Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: First bull tahr opportunity?

First bull tahr opportunity?

Hey team just wanting to pick everyone’s brains for a bit of info if possible. I’m looking at heading out for a tahr hunt this weekend possibly up the rangitata to try and get onto my first bull tahr. I’m not looking for anyone’s spot where the big old boys are hanging out just after some meat and also an added bonus of having something to hang on the wall. Any info on where to focus my time would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

I thought they were all gone, well at least that's what all the rukas has been about

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Rees likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    I thought they were all gone, well at least that's what all the rukas has been about

Hamish

I really hope not. Was hoping to get one before they are gone

Head up the Rangitata/havelock pick a side creek and walk, should pick something up somewhere up there if not try a different creek. They are there you just need to find them
    matagouri likes this.

I sure i read that area was hit 12months ago. Try taking to doc and find a area that hasn't been shot up in the latest bomb up.
    Good luck and enjoy

How far are you intending to go? Do you have a reasonable 4WD? How much time have you got?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I sure i read that area was hit 12months ago. Try taking to doc and find a area that hasn't been shot up in the latest bomb up.
    Good luck and enjoy
    I drove up to st winifreds in October and while there weren’t hoards of them, we still saw 20-30, half of which were either in range or able to be stalked in on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shearer likes this.

Hamish

Yea no one no,s whats happening in regards to numbers its been a slaughter by the sounds of it , perhaps you could come down from the wairarpa spent a $1k or 2 to get here & take a stab in the dark somewhere and report back so we know if theres any left ?
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Zero interest in them so unlikely to happen, but I have seen some vids pop up recently with Tahr shot so can't be all gone like people thought was gunna happen

Be kinda gd when my social media feeds free up a bit of space and the Tahr stuff stops coming through.

Each to their own

Hamish

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

That's good news it gives me warm fuzzys thinking of fellow recreational hunters out there enjoying them self's with friends or family , up there in the alps watching the majestic beasts or even shooting one or 2 , hell I even like the thought of someone making a job for them selfs & earning a living up there guiding in that rugged terrain , the sad news of course is that the cull is only half done or worse depending on the actual number with still another 125 hours to go , after they finish with the Tahr where to next ? .
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Zero interest in them so unlikely to happen, but I have seen some vids pop up recently with Tahr shot so can't be all gone like people thought was gunna happen

Be kinda gd when my social media feeds free up a bit of space and the Tahr stuff stops coming through.

Each to their own

Hamish

Some might not be interested in hunting them but like i said this is only the start. When they start on the sika, reds , fallow and wapiti and all the rest of our game animals you might have a change of heart.

I’d ring Doc in Twizel and politely ask them if they did any control work in the Rangitata, even if they did they should be leaving Bulls outside of the NP.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Some might not be interested in hunting them but like i said this is only the start. When they start on the sika, reds , fallow and wapiti and all the rest of our game animals you might have a change of heart.
    Nah probably not. There are too many of all of those around at the moment....i mean deer are getting hit by trains in Silverstream.....

Last edited by HNTMAD; 04-08-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    That's good news it gives me warm fuzzys thinking of fellow recreational hunters out there enjoying them self's with friends or family , up there in the alps watching the majestic beasts or even shooting one or 2 , hell I even like the thought of someone making a job for them selfs & earning a living up there guiding in that rugged terrain , the sad news of course is that the cull is only half done or worse depending on the actual number with still another 125 hours to go , after they finish with the Tahr where to next ? .
    Yeah I see your point, but then in basic business they suggest you sell umbrella in the winter and ice cream in the summer to spread your risk,and we have known this was on the radar for a number of years.

Maybe this is a sign for rec hunters to get the other animal's under control or at least show we are by shooting heaps before the choppers come.

By the way I probably feel more sorry for those business that are no longer after civid hit...no one saw that coming.

Hamish

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

That’s kind of sad really... I’m most probably never gonna hunt tahr or chamois for that matter. It doesn’t stop me feeling a bit sick to the stomach that they’ll be knocking a big hole in numbers. I understand the need to control to a degree but let’s base it on some research not just a abitary number they want to take it to. Don’t worry all wild/feral animals are under the gun so to speak.

Kinda reminds me about the semi auto debate “ oh you don’t need those, a bolt action is just fine....” .So when they get tour bolt actions then what...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boaraxa likes this.