Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: First bush stalked pig

First bush stalked pig

Managed to get my first pig yesterday! Nice little boar. Came across some fresh sign just off the track and didn't realise how fresh it was as a pig was face down feeding 4m away, quickly tried to get one up the spout but didnt pull the bolt back far enough to catch the case and by the time i sorted myself i had missed out which was gutting. We carried on and there was sign everywhere and around the next bit of scrub was 2 more feeding away. The little boar was arse on feeding away and the other one took off but the boar still hadn't caught on. I was trying to line it up but my scope was drenched from the rain and i couldnt see anything but a black blur so i waited for it to turn side on and managed to shoot it through the neck. Turns out my scope was on 9x zoom so ill have to remember to check that more often. All in all was a successful day in the rain. Name:  20190519_104522.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  4.48 MBName:  20190519_171745.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  2.71 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shootm, Tahr, veitnamcam and 18 others like this.

Nice stuff get out the spit
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Looks like a good bit of fat cover so he should be good eating.
    My dogs wont eat pork despite catching the odd one but yours seems to show some interest in what you are doing so give it a try.

Good work , you no how to cut it up ?...just like a sheep
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Good work , you no how to cut it up ?...just like a sheep
    I just whipped the shoulders off, back straps and back legs then split the ribs to try sticky ribs. Not sure how else to do it?

Flatmate was borrowing the engine hoist to fix his car so it came in handy!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Well done should be tasty that's about the right eating size.

MB
    Well done. Looks like a good eater. I've had a couple that size myself recently. I take the back legs, backstraps and tenderloin (and shoulders if not buggered). I'll take the ribs off the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    I just whipped the shoulders off, back straps and back legs then split the ribs to try sticky ribs. Not sure how else to do it?

Flatmate was borrowing the engine hoist to fix his car so it came in handy!
    Ok , Next time get the hand saw out & split it down the middle then you can see all the vertebrae , when it comes to pigs you don't really bone them out as such unless you want to roll a front shoulder , sheep are the same its worth learning , im sure you will enjoy eating that its a good eater .

Banned
    Hey Matto are you trying to make him look bigger ? - 'Was so big we needed an engine lifter just to get him off the ground'

Any way enough BS, excellent piggy. I use a different skinning method that you could try with the next one if you feel inclined.
    Do all the cuts on the ground and free the skin from the neck and shoulders. Then hang up by the nose - or the front legs, if the bit with the nose has been removed. Split the skin right the way down the backbone to the arse, then peel of one side then the other like a two sided banana.
    A boar that size is borderline for getting tough. What I do is cut the carcase in half in front of the back legs and freeze it. When it is solid frozen take it to the local butcher and get the whole lot band-sawed into chops. Slow baked for 2 1/2 hrs @140c with a slice of onion, tomatoe and a little sweet chilli sauce on top, choice !
    Rinna likes this.

Nice work,I’m sure you learnt a decent amount from this hunt,keep one chambered mate when your bush stalking,it’s not for some blokes but you’ll miss out on a lot of animals if you don’t.
    Moa Hunter, matto1234 and MB like this.

Awesome, ive done the same, had the scope on 8x, 9x etc and forgot to check and in the mad rush can go abit wrong lol. Shot pigs are always better eating than dogged pigs.
    I see the odd one deer stalking, shot a few now but they always hard to come across, normally see more sign than actual pigs.
    If too far back in bush i just whip the legs and shoulders off. Even old boars arent that bad if shot, the ones ive shot been ok . Even this one was pretty tasty

Name:  Bushstalking boar 002.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  102.9 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.

They don't have to be overly fat to be tasty either , some of the finest pigs I have dined on have come from north Canterbury , quite hard country not very fat at times but really good eating , mind you we had roast pork tonight from down here fat as you get , topped off with a light gravy I whipped up not the instant muck , spuds & red cabbage straight from the garden, even the midgets went for second helpings faaarkn delicious .
    deer243 and Moa Hunter like this.

scope LIVES on 3x...it can come off that to look at something or take a long shot...but goes back home straight away....
    enjoy your pork....apple sauce is primo with roast pork...apple baby food will do at a pinch,Barkers do a nice lightly spiced apple sauce in small jar that is primo.
    I reckon we have all been caught with scope zoomed up at least ONCE....trick is to learn from it.
    veitnamcam, deer243 and RUMPY like this.

Good stuff there matto. Should be good eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    scope LIVES on 3x...it can come off that to look at something or take a long shot...but goes back home straight away....
    enjoy your pork....apple sauce is primo with roast pork...apple baby food will do at a pinch,Barkers do a nice lightly spiced apple sauce in small jar that is primo.
    I reckon we have all been caught with scope zoomed up at least ONCE....trick is to learn from it.
    I did it once id spotted a hind & spiker on the opposite ridge about 300m away dropped the spiker on the spot with the 2506 so I kinda just stood there enjoying the moment but then I could hear pounding hoofs the bloody hind had crossed the gully to run past me 10 paces away , dam scope was still on 7 , of course I just pulled the trigger on the hairy patch deer smacked into the fence breaking the top wire & off into the bush , first deer I ever wounded I chased it around till it was to dark to see , it must have been near death as it wasn't going far before lying down but I just couldn't get the sights on it again , what a tool lesson learnt .
    Micky Duck and matto1234 like this.