Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: First Deer

First Deer

Hi Team just a wee report , this year for Christmas I didn't have to go anywhere but still had a few jobs to do , buy some prezzys , kill & cook the xmas roast and help my cousin shoot his first deer (he,s from wellys , bloody good bloke & been very ill ) so I wanted to try and come up with something special and with a stroke of luck I Teed up a private block id never been to before , after calling into the cockys place for a yarn we followed him down the road so he could show us the boundary's and point us in the rite direction which he kindly did and also informed us of 10 deer that had been feeding on a crop paddock but they had recently cut the crop so he was sure the deer where living in a scrub gully behind the paddock so putting the hubs in on the hilux off we went cresting a rise we parked the truck & wandered over ,at first glance sheep where in the block so feed looked to be short but we sat down & started glassing at 4pm in the heat I wasn't surprised nothing was spotted we kind of hung about waiting for the evening to come on after a while I noticed a dozen sheep looking a little alarmed on the other side of the gully putting the bino,s over to where they where I spotted 2 sows around 80lb & 3 piglets we got a bit closer but unless we crossed the gully couldn't get any closer so I ranged them at 278 yards , few clicks on the lupy & we should be all go ,but before he lined up I got him to dry fire the mauser as the trigger is very light 2.5lb , with no flat ground I got him setup sitting with a pac on a bush it wasn't ideal & after the shot he said he couldn't get a very steady rest oh well pigs bolted & didn't stop for a second chance
    Name:  IMG_7142 (Copy).JPG
Views: 463
Size:  259.1 KB
    , as the evening wore on a few deer started popping out mostly to far off so we decided to move and drove out the back of the farm into some excellent country lush grass , scrub & native bush in the gullys it didn't take long to spot a deer , the stalk was on and the excitement was building it took some doing but we managed to get 160 yards from the little deer I found a small window in the scrub he could shoot from but the only decent rest was my shoulder !! Bang & the deer was jumping & flipping before coming to rest 15 meters from where it had been standing , cuz was over the moon he couldn't believe he had shot a deer , truly buzzing & so was I , we bashed our way through the scrub into the native & poped up under the deer then into the open country to find it ,good shot to there was a massive double fist exit hole out its chest with a pat on the back & a handshake time to show him how to gut it turns out id lost my knife just as well I always carry a spear pocket knife !! ben is a big boy 6ft something im certain he could have thrown me ontop of the deer & carried me as well
    Name:  IMG_7150 (Copy).JPG
Views: 485
Size:  390.5 KB

Once we got back to the truck headed for home winding down the track cuz opening the gates we had almost got back to the last paddock when I looked across a small gut to see 2 spikers standing there thrusting the gun in ben,s hands he leaned across the bonnet of the truck and wallop the deer was dead before it hit the ground , what a finish to lovey evening he,s hooked now & already thinking of what gun to get
    Name:  IMG_7168 (Copy).JPG
Views: 469
Size:  356.8 KB
    jakewire, Shootm, Tahr and 19 others like this.

good work.
    Boaraxa likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    What a good bugger.
    He’ll have some stories for work on the first day back.
    Boaraxa likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Good stuff. I really like that Mauser of yours.
    PERRISCICABA and Boaraxa like this.

There you go Phillip!!! Lol! When I say on my posts that you are an amazing hunter and awesome guy all around I do MEAN IT!
    Another great out and success! Great write up!!!
    Boaraxa likes this.

Thanks Guys , I often find I get as much or more enjoyment watching others do the shooting now ..unless its a good stag then get out of the way lol @Tahr the mauser is rite up there mate its ticked all the boxes the de cocker is really good I think blaser have them to not sure why they are not more popular could be the price iv never used a sako but I wouldn't be surprised if they where similar you should swing by next time you are down & take it for a test run . @PERRISCICABA thanks mac we will hatch a plan soon
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good stuff.
    Boaraxa likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Great evening , great yarn
    Boaraxa likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cool mate good day out. What cal is the Mauser?
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Cool mate good day out. What cal is the Mauser?
    the impact models are 308 ,243 only though I think they mite be looking at other cal options down the line

@Boaraxa hook your cousin up with me or @craigc (my son) and we will see him onto a deer or at least where to go down here from Wellington.
    PERRISCICABA, Boaraxa and Paddy79 like this.

Wow! It is very generous from you @Tahr and I can assure, boaraxa and his cousin deserve it!
    On their behalf I say “THANK YOU”!!!
    You just got your name on the list of nominees for the “Good buggers” award for 2017! LOL!
    Tahr likes this.

Good one buddy nice to see you showing someone the ropes
    Boaraxa likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Well Done both of you, it is very rewarding getting people in the sport and helping them out. That will be some fine eating venison there as well. Great post.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Well Done both of you, it is very rewarding getting people in the sport and helping them out. That will be some fine eating venison there as well. Great post.
    Its been a good while since I have knocked over a fallow , man I marinaded 2 bags today & tossed it on the bbq I think its about as good as it gets ...maybe whitetail would compare either way I need more of it !!