Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree58Likes
  • 37 Post By G.I_Joel
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 5 Post By Cigar
  • 3 Post By paremata
  • 4 Post By bumblefoot
  • 3 Post By G.I_Joel

Thread: First deer buzz

First deer buzz

Everyone remembers their first deer right, I’ll never forget mine, but more so I’ve helped a few people shoot their first deer now which I actually find more enjoyable than shooting them myself. None the less I took my nephew out ( he’s 11 ) for his first deer a couple weekends ago.

He’s been out a few times now, I’ve shot goats while he watched and we have seen a few deer but never managed to get one with him. Im lucky enough to get a private block once a year so thought this would be a great opportunity to get him onto his first deer. as we do, I show him the ropes, the do’s and dont’s repeatedly, even sent him photos of where to aim on a deer. After a couple hours of no luck I sit down with him and watch over a clearing and within two minutes spot a young stag feeding. Being 11, I have to get him laying with the bi pod etc. even before I get the rifle off my shoulder he’s whispering, I’m so excited.

Once he’s all set up he lays a bit of gold on me. Me; remember aim for the shoulder and squeeze the trigger don’t pull it. Him; which shoulder the front one or the back one. I almost burst out in tears.

It was a 115m shot with the 308, in pretty gusty conditions, he’s shot out to 200m at the range and I’m confided he can bag anything 200m and under in the right conditions.

I load him up and he’s good to go. He hits it a little far back but puts the young stag down. I’m not sure who was more excited me or him. Then to top if off, couple of mates turn up with some dogs we catch a 130lb boar right on the road, he sticks it and admits afterwards that he was shitting his pants. A days hunting both of us will never forget.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Go fast, Don’t suck

good on you.....well done young fella,dont worry even us old grumpy fellas get a tad nervous before sticking knife into a pig,all the noise and movement,dogs barking ,pis squealing,pulling n pushing,its a heck of a lot to take in AND do what you supposed to do at same time...
    enjoy the venison and pork.
    dannyb and G.I_Joel like this.

Well done young fellow,a 308 no popgun,good shot.Sticking the pig would be hard.Good on you uncle G. for getting yr nephew away from the tv and phone.Enjoy the veni n pork.
    Micky Duck and G.I_Joel like this.

Hooked for life, what a great hunt for the two of you well done both of you.
    BSA270 and G.I_Joel like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Yeah, I don't get to hunt much anymore, I'm just the supervising FAL holder and guide. I've been on 17 hunts this year, and only 4 of them have been by myself, the others have been with my nephew and/or my stepson, both 15-16 year olds. I enjoy it at least as much as actually hunting myself, missed out on some easy deer but we just have a good laugh about it.
    I don't mind not having to carry the rifle or venison either!

well done that young man . Also this bit, good lord

Once he’s all set up he lays a bit of gold on me. Me; remember aim for the shoulder and squeeze the trigger don’t pull it. Him; which shoulder the front one or the back one. I almost burst out in tears.
    Pack out heavy

Good on you; great write-up. I've been teaching a friend to hunt. She shot a nice 25" billy; it was only her second goat! When I was trophy shooting goats it took a few years to get through the 23" mark here in Taranaki. I was as stoked to see her excitement at getting that goat as if it was my first 25" billy. I'm really enjoying seeing someone else's enjoyment.

Here it is (only a 30-sec vid). She was so happy. Now she wants to get a deer, so that'll be this year's challenge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65WkFb9gbUM
    rugerman, ROKTOY, paremata and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paremata View Post
    well done that young man . Also this bit, good lord
    The amount of time I put in, showing him photos of aim points and he still pull this on me
    Kids huh.
    Was an absolute joy though to finally get him into a position to get him lined up on one. Hours down the range, shooting bunnies and all that. Then he pulls that on me haha. I gave him a bit of grief about it after but he lives and learns. My first I shot while it was on the run and actually shot the “back shoulder” the second in the neck and what a learning that was. Never shot one on the run since.
    Go fast, Don’t suck

Well done
    lol yeah mate I would say that is the difference between theory and practical. You can look at all the pictures in the world but when your looking down the scope at a real animal in real conditions it can be a case of 2nd guessing yourself. I've seen it in quite a few people who study diagrams of animal internal organs but when you open them up it doesn't look the same as the drawing