Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 13 Post By Feral
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Matt2308
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By sako75
  • 1 Post By Scouser

Thread: First deer with my son

First deer with my son

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share my awesome evening on the forum. My son and I have been working on the bow hunting for about a year now but it's just been limited to small game. My boy takes himself out into the neighbours paddocks and has claimed about 4 bunnies in total which I've done up in the pot. He's full of buck fever though and has been on my case about taking him out for the grand deer hunt (sigh).

Turns out a family member was having problems on his small private block so I went up and had a look and saw this youngish fella in the gully. More correctly, my son saw it first (so it was "his deer" ):

Name:  spot me (Copy).jpg
Views: 318
Size:  294.3 KB

It was one of those moments where you realise "taking the rifle for a walk" is a legitimate activity. So we watched him bound off and went back that evening, but no show.

Took him up again tonight while the sun was still hanging and again the cheeky bugger spotted old matey in the distance before the old man... He had seen us too but a good breeze was blowing in our favour. Then we saw the hind with the stag. Losing light quickly, I told Taylor to sit tight on the hill and I would call him forward. I closed the gap to 60m but couldn't see them. The wind was blustering around me now and I thought they'd be well on to me but I was hopeful and swung around the left and up a small gully to where they would have been. There he was, shoulders out the front of a bush, head dipping low to see me. I almost took the shot but double checked the target. It was a private block but you never know if others are having a sniff. There he was again, chest in the open, eyes, nose, BANG! took him in the base of the neck just clear of the shoulder, with the left shoulder catching the exiting 7.62x39.

Then his mate popped her head out for a look before bolting. Quick chase saw her disappear over the top of the hill.

Went back and got Taylor from a couple hundy metres back and brought him forward and had him locate the deer. He was just over the moon (so was I!) so I took him through gutting it and got him to give me a hand to do it where it lay. Decent beast and was about at my carry limits. Got it down to the access track and then went to get the Toymota to save another half k carry. I must have pissed someone off today cos the clouds opened up and I got to the carcass. It was a clay track. I was f*cked. So called the wife and, bless her she loves her venison so came picked me up. The young fella did his best and carried the ruger and his bow while I muttoned it out with my first fallow.

We're in the dog box a bit cos he hadn't done his homework before I took him out and now the wife's car stinks of feral, haha. Small price to pay for the first deer with my boy. Of course, he had a bit of a pose with the rifle before we got to work...

Name:  deer 2 (Copy).jpg
Views: 395
Size:  115.3 KBName:  deer1 (Copy).jpg
Views: 424
Size:  148.7 KB

Fantastic feral:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Feral likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nice one! The young fella will remember that one for life!
    Feral likes this.

Congrats mate! I know how you feel, I had my 5yo with me shooting targets with the .22 and as I tough up and let he handle the rifle he did shot 5/5 in the little 4" swing still target, what a blast.
    Keep the great stuff going, I can't wait to take my son to the bush with me.

All the best!
    Feral likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Fantastic
    Feral likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thats what its all about! Good on you both!

Great job Feral. You guys will remember that deer for the rest of your lives. Enjoy that tasty looking venison😁👍
    Using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    It all starts there
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Awesome. Shot my first deer with a Mini 30
    Feral likes this.

Brilliant feral, the first of many i bet!!!!!
    Feral likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Great read Happy times.

Brilliant
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.