Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree92Likes
  • 29 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 5 Post By Sarvo
  • 5 Post By scotty
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Sarvo
  • 5 Post By bigbear
  • 10 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 7 Post By scotty
  • 3 Post By piwakawaka
  • 4 Post By oneshot

Thread: First deer photos

First deer photos

Alright, post up photos of your first deer, with a bit of a story.

Here’s mine. Back in July 1987 I went on a Waikato NZDA organised hunt. We headed in to Waihaha in Pureora. I tagged along with Phil and his GSP Jacques. We left camp on a wet day. We ended up stalking up a gully with Jacques winding away. Soon a yearling walked across above us and Phil shot it. We were only 30min from camp so we took it back, had a bit to eat then headed out again.
    I was in front this time and after awhile came over a small rise to see a deer standing about 40m away. I yanked the trigger and missed with the first shot. It took a few steps and stopped looking back. My second shot was a better one and the deer ran off.
    We went over to where the deer had been and I asked Phil if we should look for blood but he said just to follow the dog. About 50m later here was the deer lying on the ground. First trip deer stalking and I shot one. Took 4 years to get my second.

Name:  4D652411-0542-46A9-BEB4-0C14873FF3BC.jpeg
Views: 496
Size:  334.3 KB

No photos of my firsts....tho there is a photo of my first roaring stag (runt that it was) somewhere.

Lucky to have that photo Stug
    stug likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Oh how I wish I had my 1st photo
    Got the head stolen
    Only photo was by the Rangitikei Tavern owner - found out later the whole film got ruined in developing

1976 12 point Stag 351LB
    Perfect Royal (wine glass perfect an all :-(
    veitnamcam, stug, Mooseman and 2 others like this.

not my first but my nephews, have mentioned it in another thread dirty old mauser in 308 400yd+
    Name:  sean4.JPG
Views: 645
Size:  2.86 MB
    oamaru private block

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Oh how I wish I had my 1st photo
    Got the head stolen
    Only photo was by the Rangitikei Tavern owner - found out later the whole film got ruined in developing

1976 12 point Stag 351LB
    Perfect Royal (wine glass perfect an all :-(
    my Father shot a huge 11....its antler tips are from my outstretched arm to other side tit....its big wide and even... the odd top is flat in meddle of tine.
    Dad was at said same rangitikei tavern and had photo taken with couple of lasses there......later back at home the head got stolen from our garden....that single photo was all proof needed to get it back when the doofus tried to enter it in compitition....
    he lot track of head some years later and again that pub comes into story as publican had it and gave it back to Dad...he had probably left it as security for another round of beer....
    that head still hangs in his garage,its been around as long as I can remember so must have been shot in very early 70s
    stug, ROKTOY, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    my Father shot a huge 11....its antler tips are from my outstretched arm to other side tit....its big wide and even... the odd top is flat in meddle of tine.
    Dad was at said same rangitikei tavern and had photo taken with couple of lasses there......later back at home the head got stolen from our garden....that single photo was all proof needed to get it back when the doofus tried to enter it in competition.
    he lot track of head some years later and again that pub comes into story as publican had it and gave it back to Dad...he had probably left it as security for another round of beer....
    that head still hangs in his garage,its been around as long as I can remember so must have been shot in very early 70s
    So was that the Tavern competition ??
    I won it that year - as it only required the Tavern owners proof.

I was not worried about no head and no photo back then
    Oh well - this shooting Stags is a piece of piss says an 18yr pimple teen

Well - I have never seen let alone shot one - anywhere near as good since :-(
    BSA270 likes this.

My first deer i shoot was in the early 90's in doc block 93 on a Sunday. I had been hunting for over 12months at that stage and had spook a few but had never seen one. All my hunting had been in the same block. We had hunted in from the car park in to the clearing (hollow) i spotted some deer up the top end and had a shot, all excited took of running to get up there got part way up and needed a rest catching our breaths a yearling walked out and shot it threw the neck and drops on the spot.ruger 243. Went up to my first shot fired and no deer to be found. No rest and no idea
    The butter knife i had carried around all year was as good as useless. Then never been show to how to deal with animal before me and a mate worked out how to gut it and tried a few things to carry it.
    Got part way back to the truck and were running out of day light so sat it up on a tree and walked back in the next day after waiting for a shop to open so i could buy a pack. Hacked this pour little deer up and got it in a pack and back out to the truck. Didn't even know what a back steaks were back then.
    Hunting was hard, choppers still working and deer numbers were low
    stug, Mooseman, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

My first deer shot this juicy winter fallow doe at just over 200yards.....seemed like miles away back then
    Can't remember exactly where but it was on private land up hammer ways.
    I'll never forget that day. Was a few years ago now
    Name:  FB_IMG_1586465488176.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  186.6 KB
    buzzman, Trout, stug and 7 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    So was that the Tavern competition ??
    I won it that year - as it only required the Tavern owners proof.

I was not worried about no head and no photo back then
    Oh well - this shooting Stags is a piece of piss says an 18yr pimple teen

Well - I have never seen let alone shot one - anywhere near as good since :-(
    dont believe so...he was probably just popping in for a beer or 5 before driving home as was the norm back then. it was far and away biggest head shot in that area for a long time before or afterwards...it was late in roar and he was just pissed up/starting on rut ,so had come from somewhere into area.
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    not my first but my nephews, have mentioned it in another thread dirty old mauser in 308 400yd+
    Attachment 178449
    oamaru private block
    slept on this and realised this wasnt the only first deer taken on that particular weekend.....
    on a thursday me my nephew and my apprentice spraypainter walked thru poronui (opportunity to get our eyes on) and stayed at the oamaru DOC hut....woken at around 5am on the friday by a decent earthquake that felt like it would shake thee hut off its foundations had brekkie and humped it over to the private block (which we had booked for the next few days. dumped our packs at the hut and had a wander down the runway while waiting for the chopper carrying most of our gear and the other 2 in our party. looking down to the mohaka and across to poronui an unusual movement in the toitoi on the river bank caught my eye apprentice pulls up his rifle and calls it "stag" looking thru his scope....lets rip and nails it between the shoulderblades and it drops.the chopper arrives just as we we heading down to bone out the fist deer of the weekend.
    Name:  sika.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  160.9 KB
    apprentices first deer
    stug, Mooseman, Micky Duck and 4 others like this.

[ATTACH]178472[/ATTACH
    First public land deer shot I got a 2 for one (well 3 actually the hind had a slinky) 3rd? Trip up the kaimais. A overcast windy day in the bush and I was stalking through some nice semi open bush only moving when the wind would gust through and cover my noise. After a few hours it paid off when I saw these 2 cruising past in the opposite direction to me. Sacked the hind with a front on shot after she turned to me then the yearling stood there not knowing what to do so that got a 308 for its troubles. Still my favourite place to hunt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    stug, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

I don't have a photo of my first deer, but this was my first stag, a good few years ago when I was a young fella.

Name:  IMG_5342 (1).jpg
Views: 227
Size:  128.3 KB
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.