Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 11 Post By deer243
  • 5 Post By Timmay
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: First roar action for 2016

First roar action for 2016

Went for a hunt today. Within 15mins heard a stag moan in the distance. Good start for the day. Soon found some rut pads and a used wallow. Bit further on spooked a large boar couldnt quite get a shot at.
    After travelling a wee distance heard a stag start up, first roar for 2016. Had a graf caller, gave it a blast, he answered and continued to get quite worked up but wouldnt come in. He was still a fair distance, so the stalk was on. He sounded awesome as he echoed up the valley. i got within 200m, worked out what spur he was on then he just shut up.
    10 mins later heard him heading out over the top and couldnt hold him there and that was that. still, exciting stuff. Wasnt finished yet though, on the way out going thru thick crown fern spooked another good boar.
    Maybe 120lb. had two shots at him with the 308 as he ran across the face, wasnt easy but thought i should of as least hit him with one but both were misses. Still, not a bad day for a day off.....hunt went abit longer than thought...darn stag

Love it, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Went for a hunt today. Within 15mins heard a stag moan in the distance. Good start for the day. Soon found some rut pads and a used wallow. Bit further on spooked a large boar couldnt quite get a shot at.
    After travelling a wee distance heard a stag start up, first roar for 2016. Had a graf caller, gave it a blast, he answered and continued to get quite worked up but wouldnt come in. He was still a fair distance, so the stalk was on. He sounded awesome as he echoed up the valley. i got within 200m, worked out what spur he was on then he just shut up.
    10 mins later heard him heading out over the top and couldnt hold him there and that was that. still, exciting stuff. Wasnt finished yet though, on the way out going thru thick crown fern spooked another good boar.
    Maybe 120lb. had two shots at him with the 308 as he ran across the face, wasnt easy but thought i should of as least hit him with one but both were misses. Still, not a bad day for a day off.....hunt went abit longer than thought...darn stag
    Which part of the country were you in?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Top of the South
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

No roars heard in the CNI. Way too warm. But ol' tripod here will fill the freezer Name:  20160326_082254-1600x900.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  547.5 KB
    Pengy, deer243, Dawg and 2 others like this.

I am sure deer243 will be along shortly to give his latest report from yesterdays effort.
    Suffice to say, they have started down here
    deer243 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I am sure deer243 will be along shortly to give his latest report from yesterdays effort.
    Suffice to say, they have started down here
    Um they were bloody somewhere else yesterday nothing at all in fact. No sign, no nothing. No roaring nothing. Had a good walk but that was about it
    Very unusual for this place to see too.
    So I hope @deer243 did better than us
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

He did
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Um they were bloody somewhere else yesterday nothing at all in fact. No sign, no nothing. No roaring nothing. Had a good walk but that was about it
    Very unusual for this place to see too.
    So I hope @deer243 did better than us
    Yeah mikee I agree,
    I've walked all over the countryside and all the usual hotspots are just barren of sign. they are obviously somewhere but I am somewhat flummoxed as to where they are mobbing up. No roars here yet.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbait View Post
    Yeah mikee I agree,
    I've walked all over the countryside and all the usual hotspots are just barren of sign. they are obviously somewhere but I am somewhat flummoxed as to where they are mobbing up. No roars here yet.
    Cheers
    yes well I can safely say I know where they are not................at the moment.
    Bugbait likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yeah, my normal hot spot has no sign at all, nothing, but closer to home and theres some action so im glad i had a look at a couple of less popular spots(for me,well one is lol) and scored some early action and a good stag
    Going again tomorrow, see whats around. Prob let my mate have first shot if possible