Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree38Likes
  • 16 Post By Scottie
  • 4 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Danny
  • 4 Post By imaca
  • 2 Post By norsk
  • 2 Post By thatguy
  • 1 Post By hebe
  • 4 Post By Hunter595

Thread: First Sika Hunt

First Sika Hunt

So, managed to actually get a couple days off work this week despite my last post which has quelled the itch to get out.

First time out in the Kaimanawas looking for Sika. Two places I was looking at for this trip were Kiko Road and the obvious Clements Mill Road. I decided to go on to the latter and poke my nose around seeing what I could find and scope the area.

So that was it, up zero-dark-thirty and on the road at 4. Couple of mandatory coffee stops and parked up at Te Iringa Camp site ready to roll at 5:30. Walked in about 1 1/2hrs along the track and low and behold, much to my surprise, there was a young hind about 2m off the track just staring at me. Whilst still in shock that I managed to see one on the track, I missed my opportunity and with a quick whistle, she was off down the right hand side of the ridge and never to be seen again.

Got to the first small camp clearing around 7, and still buzzing I had managed to see one already, I stopped for a quick brew and I was off again. Carried on another 500m or so before hoping off the side myself down onto a game trail. The area wasn't shy of sign and within minutes I managed to find some fresh/wet droppings. Slowed right down and managed to get a small vantage point and just sat, watching for anything that might indicate they were nearby. Unfortunately the wind wasn't on my side and was swirling all over the place, and about 20mins later I heard some rustling just up behind me. Much to my disappointment, I got a quick glance of a white tail hoping off, never to be seen - AGAIN.......

Well with the wind not playing the game I decided to climb back up to the track and drop over onto the quarry side. Everything seemed to be a lot more dryer underfoot here. There was a lot of old sign but nothing new so I decided to head back up the ridge for a break.

With a bar and Nescafé downed, I decided to start making my way back along the track with and to check out one more basin on the quarry side. I managed to find some fresh droppings, still luke warm but I think the fact it was so dry underfoot I would have managed to scare off anything within a couple hundred meters so I headed back up the track and was on the road about 1:30.

For my first time having a crack at Sika, I was very happy with what I managed to see and achieve despite coming home with nothing. Their elusive reputation stuck true but it was a good day none the less and was good to see I was doing most things right. Talking to a chap back at the campsite, he said the Sika numbers are through the roof at the moment but as a first timer, I was lucky to see any let alone two.

I'm picking Te Iringa gets hammered though so I'm wondering where to scope out next. Was an awesome experience, especially from an ex pig hunter and someone who's only shot farm fellow. Any pointers on where to try next would be welcome but I figured someone would get some enjoyment out of this yarn.

Heres to the next adventure.
    Nathan F, Tahr, Carbine and 13 others like this.

Well done.
    Nothing wrong with the area you were hunting. It is as good as anywhere at Clements as a lot of people drive right past it. The deer don't seem to suffer from the presence of a few hunters about anyway.
    I shot my first sika around that area so brings back good memories.
    Danny, Micky Duck, Scottie and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

just keep going back...not 100% sure if stats are still correct but at one time there were more and fatter deer within 500yards of the road than anywhere else.

you had one good chance....you will be more alert and ready next time. ciggy lighter good for wind direction... it WILL happen.
    hunted them 3 times and managed 2 from one trip...I do miss the vocalness of them.in 32 years down here in south island I have been barked at by deer less than half dozen times...the huas just sneak away with no noise.
    Danny and Scottie like this.

As the above comments…

Walk a little look a lot as there are more around than we believe, I’m impatient at times and then bang I spook one.
    Your in a good area obviously and the rest is time on the hill, and make mental notes or actual notes.

I’d be keen to follow you in sometime for a wander.
    Today I enjoy the bush as much as I enjoy chasing deer. A deer is a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck, Scottie and Lucky like this.
    Dan M

Dropped a deer 20 mins up the Te Iringa track not long ago, so yeah they are about.
    I think the AK lock down will have had an impact on deer behaviour and numbers over the central NI with a lot of yearlings not being shot.
    Carbine, Scottie, norsk and 1 others like this.

Pretty impressive for your first time hunting Sika!
    Danny and Scottie like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Nice one mate. Great you got a chance to get out there after all!
    Scottie and BSA270 like this.

Theres plenty of animals around where you were, good to see you got onto something!
    Scottie likes this.

I shot my first deer just off that track, 44 years ago, walked in and stayed at the Te Iringa hut for the night and walked back to the road the next day,
    Hard to believe it was so long ago, the memories are as clear as if it happened yesterday.
    Danny, Shearer, Scottie and 1 others like this.

Have hunted this area since the early 70 s and it has alwaYs held a good number of deer. Sika being Sika are sometimes hard to get onto but then other times as already stated you could shoot one on the track. Anywhere of the Clements road will get you into good deer country , the further back the better. Those Sika sure are great to hunt especially when they get vocal.