Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By Tribrit
  • 1 Post By ONYVA
  • 2 Post By planenutz
  • 1 Post By Lucky
  • 1 Post By tetawa

Thread: Fixed wing to Boyd strip?

Fixed wing to Boyd strip?

Hey,im wanting to know if any operators are offering fixed wing flights to Boyd strip?,thanks .

Wow... just the thought of that brings back some fond memories of flying in with Air Charter back in the day.... driving down to the Taupo Airport, flying in from Taupo for just over $130 each... some very cool trips.

I flew in with both Christine & Arthur but more times with Christine is a top pilot. Sadly Arthur passed away from cancer a few years ago.

I remember seeing a Facebook page of Air Charter Taupo, it has all sorts of amazing photos of Air Charter building and maintaining the airstrips, flying people in an out. If they printed a book I'd buy it!

Sadly today there's no one offering fixed fly in trips unless you know someone who has an aviation license but I'm not sure what the CCA rules are for landing on a bush airstrip.

The only way to commercially get in there is with Helisika or East Kaweka Helicopters.
    sako75 and 57jl like this.

Yeah thats what I thought,I used to live in there a lot in thelate eighties-nineties and they used to give me flights around the place,few freebies with Stratts too,pricey to chopper in now though aye.

LOC
    Condition of the Boyd strip looked pretty good when I was there last year. Plenty of length on it

Just do it, let us know how you get on.
    What could possibly go wrong. Cant be that hard to drive a plane.
    Lol
    Blisters likes this.

Walk in over Poronui, easy walk in, bit harder coming out though if you have a pack full of meat. I do it a few times a year and I am in my 60s.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Yeah used to do it hundreds of times back in the dodge Paddy days but want to take kids up to Boyd and go walkabout for a while.

I have great memories of the Boyd. Arthur gave me my rating/sign-off for that strip and we used it often in the eighties and nineties. Several times I missed seeing Charlie Janes by "that much".

Yep, plenty of length on it but the combination of altitude and temperature often meant using most of the strip when you had 4 up, gear and meat on board. Took an old C172 fastback in there one trip and almost "fell" off the end with 2 up, gear, meat and 2 dogs. That was a memorable trip. Dog farts at 5,000 feet when you can't open a window... holy crap... we were baulking! Almost kicked my dog out the door over Lake Taupo!

Rule #1 at that hut, take your rifle with you when you take a leak outside at night before bed.
    sako75 and Ruapehu like this.

yep I miss that service as well $130 was a bargain then even , so easy to with flying out of Taupo airport
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Talk to DOC at Taupo or Turangi, they should be able to tell you who has landing permits for there. I don't know any charter companies with a permit, only private pilots.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Cam was the Man from Turangi Strip
    Was a great service - used it to access Tussock - Mangatainoka and only ever stayed 1 night at Boyd's