Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By sakokid
  • 1 Post By Gapped axe
  • 4 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 3 Post By Turehu

Thread: Footware??

Footware??

Hi all.

Cornflakes season is all but here.
    On my last hunt it was starting to get crunchy until the rain came down. It got me thinking about my boots.
    They are your normal hunting boot. Leather, waterproof and rubber sole. Now I have heard of people hunting in socks (I did this one day during the roar this year due to leaving my boots at home and getting mad blisters) and there very quiet. Dive booties is another as well as hardman bare feet.

Was just wondering if anyone here uses any of these methods during the summer months? Im thinking about maybe dive booties as they will probably last longer.
    Thoughts??

Tim

Maybe these would work? I wear them when spearfishing. Might give it a go in February when in Kaimanawas.

Freediving Socks Rob Allen 3mm

Shit man just wear your boots, plenty deer been shot by hunters wearing boots. Even in the summer.
    Daggers_187 likes this.

I wear cross trainers as my feet get too hot in boots.
    Nice and light, comfortable and still shoot deer in them.
    Too much of the secret ninja stuff and unbeknown you will sneak past the sleeping deer

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Barefeet
    Shearer likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I used to stalk the main beach Mt in barefeet, worked well
    Spook, Pengy, BRADS and 1 others like this.

I carry a spare pair of socks, if the boots get to noisey I clip them on my pack and put the extra socks on, then do like a roman sandal type pattern with insulation tape. Might be a bit ott but if I can hear my footsteps from 1.7m then deer can probably hear them from 30m which at times is further than I can see.

I bush hunt in my running shoes which are Barefoot shoes, New Balance Minimus, or Merrell Trail gloves. More comfortable than dive booties, lighter, more flexible.

Minimus 10v2 Trail - Men's 10 - Running, Minimal - New Balance - NZ
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I like my boots also but man it felt so much better just wearing socks, and a whole heap quieter. Of the 5 deer I have seen in the wild, I have spooked 3 well before I knew they were there. Was hoping to get a bit of an advantage maybe.
    The whole bare foot thing is probably a step to far for me, a bit too soft these days.
    Thanks for the replies so far. Im sure some of you hardened hunters had a bit of a chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    I like my boots also but man it felt so much better just wearing socks, and a whole heap quieter. Of the 5 deer I have seen in the wild, I have spooked 3 well before I knew they were there. Was hoping to get a bit of an advantage maybe.
    The whole bare foot thing is probably a step to far for me, a bit too soft these days.
    Thanks for the replies so far. Im sure some of you hardened hunters had a bit of a chuckle.
    You may be surprised if you try stalking in bare feet. As long as you are not on very rocky ground (or around prickly stuff) it doesnt take too long to get used to it. You can always put your boots back on if your feet get sore and just take them off when in a 'hot' area.
    The best thing about soft bare feet (especially with sika) is that it slows you down
    Boulderman likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    You may be surprised if you try stalking in bare feet. As long as you are not on very rocky ground (or around prickly stuff) it doesnt take too long to get used to it. You can always put your boots back on if your feet get sore and just take them off when in a 'hot' area.
    The best thing about soft bare feet (especially with sika) is that it slows you down
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Had to find and carry a tramper out from the back of Lake Sumner .No horses or chopper. 6 of us stretcher bearers and it took two days in the middle winter. All that made it bearable was that it was lightly snowing so the sandflies and mozzies were asleep. The dickhead took his boots off to cross a creek, lost his balance, arsed over and broke his ankle and fibula. In my opinion for what it's worth, bare feet are for the house and the beach.
    Scouser, rs200nz and Dynastar27 like this.
    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see