Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The Future for Molesworth - DOC survey & actions.

  1. #1
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Silverdale
    Posts
    2,344

    The Future for Molesworth - DOC survey & actions.

    You may recall DOC put out a survey regarding the future of Molesworth last year. Results now released.
    I'm not holding my breath.

    https://www.doc.govt.nz/molesworth-survey

    They state ....
    Next steps
    DOC is working in partnership with Te Rūnanga o Kaikōura to develop the next steps for considering future management options. DOC is also working closely with the Nelson Marlborough Conservation Board and the Molesworth Steering Committee (which advises on the management of Molesworth).

    The survey results are being taken into account in considering options for Molesworth’s future manage

    I translate this to mean "DOC & local iwi will do what we wanted any way ...but thanks muppets for your comments."
    Maybe I'm getting too cynical in my old age ?!

  2. #2
    Bus driver
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Porirua/Whangateau
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote..Molesworth is an iconic high-country station. It is owned by the public of New Zealand and managed by DOC on your behalf.

    Lol.hahaha.....yup mate,...[I]m getting the same way...Cynical
    Sideshow likes this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    1,791
    What have DoC done with the great big NZDA survey kill management report and data?

    I have a concern thst DoC may be looking to sell or lease a chunk of our land to tourism interests. Hope Im wrong.
    Steve123 likes this.

  4. #4
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I have a concern thst DoC may be looking to sell or lease a chunk of our land to tourism interests. Hope Im wrong.
    Big push for tourism. Last year we had 3.8 million tourists pass through our country and by 2025 they hope to increase the numbers by another 1.6 million. Our conservation land could become very restricted in some areas for hunting, coz they will want to push the loopies further into it to spread the load. Take a look at what they are trying to do around Mt Cook, increase the number of operational flights for one.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingcountry
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Big push for tourism. Last year we had 3.8 million tourists pass through our country and by 2025 they hope to increase the numbers by another 1.6 million. Our conservation land could become very restricted in some areas for hunting, coz they will want to push the loopies further into it to spread the load. Take a look at what they are trying to do around Mt Cook, increase the number of operational flights for one.
    What about the carbon footprint that they rave about, or do they conveniently let it slide for tourism.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,314
    The tourists are spending their carbon footprint here but we will pay the tax for them. Is that how it works?
    tetawa, chainsaw, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

  7. #7
    Member Tussock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Oamaru
    Posts
    1,238
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    What about the carbon footprint that they rave about, or do they conveniently let it slide for tourism.
    They all like to travel. A hippy mate of mine was here recently. She is really lovely. She started telling us about a workshop she did at a festival where they were all about zero waste and how you can get your annual waste into a mason jar. Both my wife and I said straight away "but you could not move!". Que awkward silence. I have had this so many times it is not funny. Preachy foreigners who just got off a long haul flight.

    Long story short it is all bullshit and they will keep burning the jet fuel and preaching. Can't get to NZ without a huge carbon footprint and can't promote NZ tourism without encouraging it.
    veitnamcam, tetawa, tikka and 2 others like this.

  8. #8
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    They all like to travel. A hippy mate of mine was here recently. She is really lovely. She started telling us about a workshop she did at a festival where they were all about zero waste and how you can get your annual waste into a mason jar. Both my wife and I said straight away "but you could not move!". Que awkward silence. I have had this so many times it is not funny. Preachy foreigners who just got off a long haul flight.

    Long story short it is all bullshit and they will keep burning the jet fuel and preaching. Can't get to NZ without a huge carbon footprint and can't promote NZ tourism without encouraging it.
    Things usually go really quiet when I politely point out if they really want to help the planet then best thing they can possibly do is to drop dead right now, zero carbon foot print then

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The tourists are spending their carbon footprint here but we will pay the tax for them. Is that how it works?
    Forgot about paying for their rescue. And paying for the poo disposal of the freedom campers.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,110
    Carbon footprint.... How many kids have you had... And grandkids... (stopped at least one lady with this when she was complaining about plastic waste with 4kids under 5)
    Anyhow
    Few points of interest in the survey:
    "While the survey was not part of a statutory process, the feedback received will help inform us about people’s views"
    Farming lease ends June 2020
    20% of respondents have never been there
    2% international
    70% leave farming as is 80% support farming
    "Harsh winter conditions and the fire hazard in summer were also noted ." safety concerns (you don't say...)
    48% want changes to hunting 52% for changes to all public access
    " Managed access for all users was a central theme, particularly for foreign tourists, who were considered to be a greater risk to landscape values than New Zealanders, especially when freedom camping ."
    "volunteers to control pest species and restore significant areas as a positive option . Suggestions included using recreational hunters and fourwheel drivers,"
    tetawa and Woody like this.

  11. #11
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,650
    I think we need to rename this thread the cynical page or truths! Well guys at lest we are all on the same page.......
    Unless this is post 15 then I’ll be on the next
    Oh looks like I get to stay.
    Have to agree with all that has be written above!
    chainsaw likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  12. #12
    Member Sideshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Carbon footprint.... How many kids have you had... And grandkids... (stopped at least one lady with this when she was complaining about plastic waste with 4kids under 5)
    Anyhow
    Few points of interest in the survey:
    "While the survey was not part of a statutory process, the feedback received will help inform us about people’s views"
    Farming lease ends June 2020
    20% of respondents have never been there
    2% international
    70% leave farming as is 80% support farming
    "Harsh winter conditions and the fire hazard in summer were also noted ." safety concerns (you don't say...)
    48% want changes to hunting 52% for changes to all public access
    " Managed access for all users was a central theme, particularly for foreign tourists, who were considered to be a greater risk to landscape values than New Zealanders, especially when freedom camping ."
    "volunteers to control pest species and restore significant areas as a positive option . Suggestions included using recreational hunters and fourwheel drivers,"
    Year just need to look at other areas of the globe we’re tourists actions have harmed a similar environment.
    Off the top of my head it always comes down to fire, toilet waste and litter in no particular order.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16376026

    https://horizontravelpress.com/guide...rres-del-paine

    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pa...&client=safari

    Is this the future of the Sation?

    Here’s a few more from around the globe https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...10.EQqcB41msnw

    As for waste the worst would have to be the island of rubbish in the Maldives!
    Name:  4AFD9A4B-BFC6-472F-8516-648D9DAECD04.jpeg
Views: 204
Size:  47.2 KB
    Look it’s even got a freedom camper on it summit
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

  13. #13
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Silverdale
    Posts
    2,344
    Nah it will be covered by green rain dropped by chopper ..... of course all with zero carbon footprint

  14. #14
    Member deer243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    nelson
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    What have DoC done with the great big NZDA survey kill management report and data?

    I have a concern thst DoC may be looking to sell or lease a chunk of our land to tourism interests. Hope Im wrong.
    Thats what im hearing. The whole point of the 1080 drops were to wipe out as many deer and pigs as possible. Hunting isnt seen as a encourging option, looking at doing more tourism options , be it if leased out or not but hunting isnt something they want to see increased.
    Iwi are going to have a say, theres money to be made in those hills

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    1,791
    At what loss to our land heritage?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Doc survey
    By r87mm in forum Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2018, 01:49 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 13-01-2018, 07:51 PM
  3. Survey for F&G re shooting hours...
    By EeeBees in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2016, 08:52 AM
  4. Molesworth hunting
    By 223nut in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-03-2016, 07:34 AM
  5. Molesworth in march
    By upnorth uplander in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!