Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Game Camera's

Game Camera's

What's everyones thoughts on them on public land? Yes/No. Good/Bad. Any decent photos to make it worth the time? Hard to imagine them being of any use in much of the east coast, south island or am I wrong on this?

Gone but not forgotten
    I have used them on public land, but usually in little tucked away spots (not on ridges, etc). I have only had one photo of another hunter.
    I've had heaps of good photos, including some of a fallow buck listening to us coming towards him.
    The activation range is only 20m or so, so probably not a lot of use in open country.
    tetawa, Moa Hunter, Louie and 1 others like this.

I have only ever used mine on public land. Yes. very worth while. The anticipation of seeing what you have captured is as good as any other aspect of the hunt.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Placed mine out on the hill for the first time a couple of weeks back. A spot where other hunters don't ever really go. Got some interesting footage that will help target the area a bit more effectively knowing the patterns of the animals.

I would certainly avoid placing one anywhere it might be found and against something very sturdy and shielded from wind.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I love using game cameras. You see more game than you ever imagined would be there and you don't have to carry them out. Great for oldies that have done it all and often wondered what the hell he/she was going to do with all that meat.

Now your next job will be, do you buy a quality $400+ camera and risk it walking or buy 4 $100 poorer quality cameras and cover more places. If you lose one it don't hurt as much.

Fully test your camera/s at home on all settings before warranty runs out. I would only buy a camera from a NZ based agent or online seller so you can return a faulty one.
    Micky Duck and Mrs Beeman like this.

Sounds like they are worth it then. Anyone got any recommendations or pictures/videos off certain camera's. Have a few areas I think would suit a camera but don't want to buy something that'll run out of battery one week in. Also don't want to break the bank but open to anything.

Gone but not forgotten
    Plenty of pictures in this thread, often the photo has the make of camera.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....mera-pics-160/
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Plenty of pictures in this thread, often the photo has the make of camera.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....mera-pics-160/
    Cheers for that. Will look through them tonight
    Shearer likes this.

Trail cams are awesome on public land, they help you learn a lot about what animals are in the area and what time of day they are around, what habits they might have throughout the year. I've got 6 different cheapies from AliExpress and they are of varying price and quality, but they all do the job. I've cut my own track and put them in various spots in open areas along the way. Only complaint is you get a few false positives, but I'm not sure if that's the same on the more expensive ones.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Had a look through that other thread and found that Bushnell or Moultrie game cameras seemed to be the used the most but both are a little pricey for a quality camera. Might grab a couple off ali express as you say and see how they go

Does anyone have any links to AliExpress game cams that are good value? There are so many listed it's hard to pick the wheat from the chaff.... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Does anyone have any links to AliExpress game cams that are good value? There are so many listed it's hard to pick the wheat from the chaff.... Thanks!
    You should be asking "if camera is faulty, can I easily return it and get refund?"
    bumblefoot likes this.

@Gamehunter That's pretty much always a "no" on AliExpress eh But..... I'd rather have a $100 camera flogged on public land than a $400 one

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    @Gamehunter That's pretty much always a "no" on AliExpress eh But..... I'd rather have a $100 camera flogged on public land than a $400 one
    I got 2 off The Market that were the same as one I'd bought off 1 Day (now taken over by The Market). I checked both the new ones, one at a time over two nights in my workshop and found both had the same fault as I'd struck with the original one I bought off 1 Day.
    They all take unwanted and untriggered photos on each hour even on factory setting.
    I contacted The Market about this fault and they gave me a return docket no. and I dropped the two cameras in original package at Farmsource (their return agent in town) and returned at no cost. I am getting a full refund, including my original postage.
    Great service.
    They sell heaps of different Tcams but a bit gun-shy at present.
    So I'm sticking with running the 4 dodgy cameras I own of 3 types.
    One works great. One does daylight only. One takes unwanted photos each hour and the other belonged to Noah of Arc fame.
    If you buy a cheaper camera that works OK, I'd like to know what it is and where you bought it.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I managed to grab 3 Moultrie cameras on a run-out special at $150 each a few years back, I should have bought more.