Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Garmin watch

I have the Garmin Fenix 3. It is awesome. About 5 of my mates have the same watch. I save a 'home base' to nav back to after a hunt and it has been fantastic. Argued with a mate who had a G shock convinced we were going the wrong way, turned out his watch compass was 90 deg out
    petree likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I've had a 5s for 3 months. The 5X can be had with topo LITE and has a larger battery.
    However the 5s has proved acquitted for my needs. I could never read the topo on a screen as small at the 5s or 5x.
    If you run the GSP continuously then you will need to carry a battery bank but it's still way lighter than my Garmin 62csx.
    I use it for sailing, and tracking my walks and hunts. Then download to a PC to Analise where I went. (But I'm only talking 1-3 hour trips)
    I think I would only count on 12 hrs of full time GPS on my 5S (Think the book said 16 hours). The 5x is surpost to be good for 20 hours.
    However to get the max life you need to turn off things like Bluetooth/wifi?? phone connections, turn down the screen lighting and the heart rate monitoring.
    It dose have a compass and altimiter and basic navigation preloaded so you can set your start location then turn it on later to navigate back to it.
    You can also download apps such as the dog tracking one which lets you see the direction and distance to your dogs. (I assume this is bluetooth connected to the main handset.)
    I have the same, you can turn the GPS to ultra trac mode which captures the data less frequently during an activity which extends the battery life out too. I really like mine, I personally wouldn't use it as a replacement for a GPS unit.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I have the Fenix 5x and basically use it for my day hunts now.
    Pretty interesting to look through the stats, and see how high the heart rate goes up a hill.
    The maps are ok for what I do, and as above, I use ultratrac if I think my hunt will be longer than 8 hours.

If my eysight ever fails, then I'll go back to a hand-held. same for multi-day hunts.

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. Will try the ultrtrac. It told me I did 28ks in the pureora forest when I only did 5ish if that. It's the 5x.