Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By chainsaw

Thread: Gearing up for first Tahr hunt. Bit of advice.

Gearing up for first Tahr hunt. Bit of advice.

Looking to escape the north island in mid April 2018 to catch up with some mates in Wanaka. Going to be there a bit over a week so will be looking to sneak out for a few days. Will be driving down so will have 4 wheel drive and room for camping/tramping gear. They're not really in to hunting so trying to enlist another mate to tag along.

I've not explored the area much but am reasonably proficient in alpine environments and have been practicing my longer range work.

Can anyone recommend a good info source on hunting areas around Wanaka in that season? Not expecting a spot X but being new to the area a general direction would be great. Massive area out there and pretty confident I could spend all week driving around. Or, is someone is keen to come out for a few days I'm happy to drive.

Heaps of country around there timaru creek area supposed to be ok just check & make sure the ballot blocks have finished , Wanaka/hawea run till the 25th april
    StagRyan likes this.

Cheers Boaraxa. Been looking through some map areas and looking into the Hunter River and/or Landsborough valley areas. Both seem to have 4x4 access points. Pretty keen tramper so no issues putting in some yards to get to where I need to be.

We were in lower Timaru Crk 2-3 years back, only saw a couple of tahr. I’d be heading for Landsborough or something SW for tahr. Or u could try the Ahuriri
    StagRyan likes this.

@chainsaw My mate and I were in Timaru Creek labour Weekend 2 years ago and spotted Thar down in the branch up to Moonlight and roses, Also saw them in there 2 years prior during the third ballot period, up the top near moonlight and roses is a great basi which looks to hold animal sat certain times of the year, just not labour weekend, also hell of a walk no matter which way you access it, Id recomend taking the "marked" track rather than the ridge line, Lesser of two evils you might say. Deer spur creek is also very tight and steep heading towards the hut away from Junction Hut, both huts are very accommodating.

yep, its big country. Tahr we saw were in the bluff systems above Moonlight & Roses hut. Damn nice hut that one.