Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: goat shooting land

goat shooting land

hey all does anyone know if there are any farmers near hastings are wanting to have someone shoot a few goats and other unwanted species on there land. as im a young fulla but am responsible and wanting to have a bit of fun while getting some dog tucker and taking out some pests.

cheers
    Cordite and Remote like this.

GWH
    Pm inbound
    tetawa, flock, MB and 2 others like this.

Also interested in same kind of deal. Let me know. Cheers

NO4
    @GWH does nzfm still issue permits for their pine blocks up Tutira / Wairoa ways, usualy a few goats and the odd deer lurking around

Quote Originally Posted by Hbwanderer View Post
    @GWH does nzfm still issue permits for their pine blocks up Tutira / Wairoa ways, usualy a few goats and the odd deer lurking around
    I was pointed in the direction of nzfm and i sent them an email but they replied saying they refused anymore people into there database and onto their land

Spoke to 3 cockies on friday avo. They all had goats but no shooting because they believed they did a resonable control on weeds and blackberry. No longer the pest?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewhall2912 View Post
    I was pointed in the direction of nzfm and i sent them an email but they replied saying they refused anymore people into there database and onto their land
    Looking again, in vain, for the don'tlike button. )O:>
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Spoke to 3 cockies on friday avo. They all had goats but no shooting because they believed they did a resonable control on weeds and blackberry. No longer the pest?
    It's their call isn't it. I've lost my biggest and best rabbit shoot because the farmer's son likes seeing the rabbits.
    tetawa and outlander like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It's their call isn't it. I've lost my biggest and best rabbit shoot because the farmer's son likes seeing the rabbits.
    Jesus, Mr farmer may regret that
    Localman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    That's hilarious. I've heard farmers say similar things about deer too. With that said, it's their land.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    That's actually very true. We farmed cashmere goats for about 30 years, kept them well after the fibre market died because they were great 'organic' herbicide. They would eat blackberry and thistles and all kinds of crap the sheep and cattle would not touch and only move on the pasture when desperate. We only got rid of them once we started planting trees in a big way, goats and trees are not compatible.

FMNZ manage the young pine forest next door to us, but they do a crap job with pest control. I can see huge amounts of deer damage just looking over the boundary fence. I think the issue with those guys is a lot of the plantations they manage are owned by groups of investors, who like the chance to come out and shoot occaisonally, so non-investors don't get a look in.
    NO4 and XR500 like this.

@Ben Waimata thats FMNZ has a no shooting hinds policy

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Ben Waimata thats FMNZ has a no shooting hinds policy
    Really??? If they come over my side of the boundary fence that no hinds policy ends very fast!

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    That's actually very true. We farmed cashmere goats for about 30 years, kept them well after the fibre market died because they were great 'organic' herbicide. They would eat blackberry and thistles and all kinds of crap the sheep and cattle would not touch and only move on the pasture when desperate. We only got rid of them once we started planting trees in a big way, goats and trees are not compatible.

FMNZ manage the young pine forest next door to us, but they do a crap job with pest control. I can see huge amounts of deer damage just looking over the boundary fence. I think the issue with those guys is a lot of the plantations they manage are owned by groups of investors, who like the chance to come out and shoot occaisonally, so non-investors don't get a look in.
    Not too sure about that. Some of their newly planted blocks in Northern Hawkes Bay they have literally taken thousands of goats out of each block to the point where you seldom see many at all. They do a pretty reasonable job of pest control overall.
    As far as no shooting hinds go, that's the first I've heard.

At the end of the day you have to weigh it up don't you. A few tree's damaged by transient deer is a hard thing to deal with. You could spend thousands on pest control and still have the damage done. And to be fair I think as far as deer numbers go it probably isn't very high numbers in the scheme of things.
    Anyone who has been into some of the blocks in the likes of parts of Gisborne would understand what high deer numbers are.

A large chunk of fmnz blocks are permitted out to hunt which is better than virtually all forestry companies in Hawkes Bay now. Also there are a lot of people in the database and not enough blocks to give out. Plus investors and staff also like to hunt.
    JoshC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Not too sure about that. Some of their newly planted blocks in Northern Hawkes Bay they have literally taken thousands of goats out of each block to the point where you seldom see many at all. They do a pretty reasonable job of pest control overall.
    As far as no shooting hinds go, that's the first I've heard.

At the end of the day you have to weigh it up don't you. A few tree's damaged by transient deer is a hard thing to deal with. You could spend thousands on pest control and still have the damage done. And to be fair I think as far as deer numbers go it probably isn't very high numbers in the scheme of things.
    Anyone who has been into some of the blocks in the likes of parts of Gisborne would understand what high deer numbers are.

A large chunk of fmnz blocks are permitted out to hunt which is better than virtually all forestry companies in Hawkes Bay now. Also there are a lot of people in the database and not enough blocks to give out. Plus investors and staff also like to hunt.
    I should have said I don't know anything about FMNZ policies over all, just the specifics of the block next door because I asked the manager about it. His reply was about investors doing the shooting, this might be a one off situation. He also said they intended to do a once annual possum control, which did not impress me. I try to get it done every three-four months.

Yes as you say the pest population is nowhere near as high here as it is in N HB, but what I know is I see a lot of trees looking like this over the boundary fence (then they die and stand there for a year or so brown).

They don't seem to be doing any control at all, as far as I know. What is acceptable loses for pine forests? I don't have a thermal yet, but have borrowed one a few times and seen deer in the pines every time. I'm probably the only guy on this forum who would prefer not to have deer in the backyard.

My place for comparison;

Different tree species, same problem.

Goats have not been a major issue here for several years, just the odd one. But they're coming back with some big mobs both N and S of me on the coast. The new pine block on my N boundary touches another pine block on the coast giving full undercover access to goats so this will no doubt become a problem for me again soon. The only good thing about it is the young guys on the big corporate farm to my S are very keen hunters so they will keep the population down.