Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RV1
  • 1 Post By RV1

Thread: Goats, Wairarapa. Tips please.

RV1

Goats, Wairarapa. Tips please.

Hi, I'm visiting family in the Wairarapa over Christmas. I grew up here in the countryside, but haven't lived here for about 20 yrs. I have young sons and a teenage nephew dead keen on hunting and am keen to get them onto some wild goats. However, all my old private land haunts have different contacts since I last hunted here as a young guy. I used to chase them in the Mangatarere Valley and also near Mt Bruce. Can anyone point me in the right direction via private message? I simply don't have the time to do a lot of door knocking and cold calling as we're here on holiday. We have roots here, my parents are locals, farming folk and all that, just haven't got the right contacts for goats. Ideally a friendly landowner who would appreciate help getting rid of goats, or accessible public land. We're based in the wider Carterton area. I grew up on farms, so understand respectful farming etiquette, close gates, leave stock alone etc, and won't leave goat carcasses all over the place etc. Any pointers appreciated. 👍
    nor-west likes this.

They’re pretty much everywhere in the rimutakas

RV1
    Thanks Sako. Yes, we even saw one driving over from Wellington. Cheeky bugger was feeding on the edge of the road in bright daylight... Probably a bit far too travel for the limited time we have. Next time we're back up here perhaps.

Usually see a handful going over from Mangatarere into Sayers, if you went in both directions along the top it would be hard to miss them.

Use to shoot goats in the back of Mt Bruce bird sanctuary from the Mauriceville side via Mahoe farm, few years ago now.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

RV1
    Thanks both. We'll try the Mangatarere, we're thinking of a tramp into Sayers anyway. Cheers

Did you have any success?

RV1
    Hi Longshot - nope, not on goats nor deer. Went out a couple of times but only saw old sign and no luck. Still fun to be out in the hills exploring.
    Maca49 likes this.

If you give me some advance notice next time you’re going to be around, I should be able to flick you something more comprehensive.

RV1
    Awesome, thanks Longshot. It'll probably be next year sometime, I'll let you know. Cheers