Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: GPS?

GPS?

Hi there
    As most of you would be aware from my previous posts im a ammature hunter trying to learn the ropes in between uni and work. Just wondering if a GPS is worth investing in at the moment . mainly hunting Kaimais so not that hard to find you way out but feel it may be better to have Gps in case for when I'm on my own. cheers Joshua

Yes, specially if you are going off track in the Kaimais.
    Many an experienced hunter has been " turned around " in that bush.
    Garmin 62s is hard to go past IMHO

add one of these and you are good to go ;
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics...-771110333.htm
    hunter308, Jojiyo and HNTMAD like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Plus batteries of course
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Yeah, 62s with maps is pretty handed.

However, I'll be the first to ask, can you actually use a map and compass? I mainly hunt on the tops in Canterbury and hardly need either, but with in the bush, your situation awareness is pretty important. Just knowing which way is north all the time is a handy thing. After studying a map and learning the shape and features of the land will give you the ability to get yourself out of most place. Knowing the rough direction to the nearest hut, track, roadend, truck, most likely spot for an animal, water and shelter all of the time is a great thing. This takes time and a focused effort to start with, then it becomes second nature.

Doing the above while have the GPS will give you some good insurance, particualy in gently rolling, bush covered hills.

Hey man much like yourself im a amateur hunter trying to find some time in the bush between uni and work. I have a GPS and wouldnt be without it, i have a garmin etrek 20 and also the map pack and find it really useful. It has never lost reception for me and I've had it over a year and a half. However I try to use it as a last resort, its awesome to look back at at the end of the day and look at the ground you've covered. What i would recommend which is what i currently do is have a laminated map and a compass with you and use this as much as possible because as mentioned above once you learn the area you won't forget it, by having this you only then need to use your GPS to confirm where you are and by doing this and realizing that you are exactly where you thought on the map you will become alot more confident hunting in bush you have never been in before. Best of luck out there man.
    gadgetman, Dougie, Pengy and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post
    Hey man much like yourself im a amateur hunter trying to find some time in the bush between uni and work. I have a GPS and wouldnt be without it, i have a garmin etrek 20 and also the map pack and find it really useful. It has never lost reception for me and I've had it over a year and a half. However I try to use it as a last resort, its awesome to look back at at the end of the day and look at the ground you've covered. What i would recommend which is what i currently do is have a laminated map and a compass with you and use this as much as possible because as mentioned above once you learn the area you won't forget it, by having this you only then need to use your GPS to confirm where you are and by doing this and realizing that you are exactly where you thought on the map you will become alot more confident hunting in bush you have never been in before. Best of luck out there man.
    +1 thats how i roll....laminated topo map (hunting permit on other side) and my compass, use my Garmin 60CSx for getting myself outta the shit.......sometimes....im getting better, honest!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

+1 Scouser !!

SiB
    I went for the rhino and uploaded map onto it. Whilst the radio side doesn't get used, I like the 'just in case' option. Yes range limitations of the radio acknowledged. The best thing about a gps is being able to go somewhere new and feel a lot more confident about knowing which way the truck is when you come out somewhere different! And it's a great way to note where you've spotted animals etc for future hunts
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Yeah, 62s with maps is pretty handed.

However, I'll be the first to ask, can you actually use a map and compass? I mainly hunt on the tops in Canterbury and hardly need either, but with in the bush, your situation awareness is pretty important. Just knowing which way is north all the time is a handy thing. After studying a map and learning the shape and features of the land will give you the ability to get yourself out of most place. Knowing the rough direction to the nearest hut, track, roadend, truck, most likely spot for an animal, water and shelter all of the time is a great thing. This takes time and a focused effort to start with, then it becomes second nature.

Doing the above while have the GPS will give you some good insurance, particualy in gently rolling, bush covered hills.

Hi there
    Yeap I can use a map and a compass as I have been on a few hikes where we had to use just them . cheers
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DanS View Post

sounds like a good idea to have the map. where abouts can you download good topo maps from . Was up in the kaimais last weekend and decided to test out the gps on my mates iPhone . bloudy spot on but don't think that could be relied apon. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    sounds like a good idea to have the map. where abouts can you download good topo maps from . Was up in the kaimais last weekend and decided to test out the gps on my mates iPhone . bloudy spot on but don't think that could be relied apon. thanks
    Try this mate....New Zealand Topographic Map - NZ Topo Map
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I use the basic Garmin eTrex 10, in conjunction with map and compass, and am really happy with it. Mine was $149 from Dick Smith, but there's probably better deals around now. Before I go, I add waypoints for the route I want to take, reference points like peaks, and any interesting features I want to check out, like terraces, etc - you can get the coords from topomap.co.nz.

They only tell you the straight line direction to a point, which may not be the best way to get there, and you can loose the signal in dense cover, so as the others have said, you still need a separate compass. It would be great to have one of the deluxe mapping ones, but if you don't want to spend much just go for a basic garmin or magellan.

So, how well do the modern GPS's work under canopy forest?
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Never lost track once. Been in the kaimais too still fine. They are good
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Mine works fine indoors Spook ,works even better if I take my reading glass's with me .
    Gun control means using both hands