Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GPS mapss

GPS mapss

Anyone in wellington have topo maps saved on the computer that i can put on a sd card to use in my garmin? I heard you can get them for free but cant get my head around how to download them...
    Any suggestions.
    Cheers

Hey.. I gather your talking about nzopengps.org...
    the downloads section is very simple.. step by step instructions..

Is this where you are getting a copy from?...
    Post what you do not understand and someone may be able to help.
    Or try their forum..

I run Linux so it would be different.. sorry I can't help with a Window
    Treat every firearm as loaded - Always point firearms in a safe direction - Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Identify your target beyond all doubt - Check your firing zone - Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

ok im on a mac.
    I must be a bit dumb but it doesnt seem to straight forward....
    I have downloaded a 37mb file called gmapsupp.img and apparently i unzip that and then put on a sd card, then put the sd card in my garmin... Will that have all the topo maps for new zealand on it? seems like a small file...

Sorry.. it was a few years ago that I did mine..
    I use an older model 60CSx.. what are you loading the maps to?
    From memory (which isn't very good) the 37mb file is like a base.. then you add the layers.. ie topo50
    NZ Topo, Special Purpose Maps, Waypoints and POI - Releases .... the other files you will need.
    Once loaded on the card you need to tick some boxes in the unit to use them or not... (from memory once again)
    Follow the instructions and you should be fine... like I say my memory is a bit sketchy but you should be able to sort it.
    Treat every firearm as loaded - Always point firearms in a safe direction - Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Identify your target beyond all doubt - Check your firing zone - Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

For anyone else that stumbles across this thread looking for topo maps for their Garmin devices...

You can download Garmin Custom Maps for each of LINZ's topo50 map sheets using the download tab on NZ Topo Map. Simply open the downloads tab then click on the maps sheet area you'd like to download to get the download links.