Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 4 Post By Ground Control
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Husky1600

Thread: Growler hut

Growler hut

anyone got anything to say about the growler?

Will be going up late january with a mate and philipgr. Tahr will be no doubt high as fark but be good to get out and about. Any/many chamois lurking about up there?

Any general info welcome, cheers
    phillipgr likes this.

I got married in 1991 so it's no use asking me about "Growler " maybe one of the young single guys will know

Gapped axe, Mac, Ryan and 1 others like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Ejected

You will find tahr from the Growler, high for nannies and kids, low in the creek mouths and cold faces for bulls. Dont shoot the bulls unless they are BIG, check out Camp Creek about and hour up, just around the corner on the true right, and higher up the gully towards the head basin. Also check out Carnies on the cold side [true left going up] all the way to the big corner prior to the biv's, and check out Murphies, definitely worth a look on the warm side just above the biv. Camp Basin is too hot in the summer and a real bitch to get in to if you dont know where you are going. Also check out the faces on the opposite side of the river below Darky Jims/Curtis Memorial hut. Good luck on the chamois! Very few and far between.

Awesome husky just what I was after, very helpful. Will let ya no how we get on

Yeah +1 on that Husky, you're a legend, I'm chasing my first Tahr so here's hoping we have a bit of luck. Thanks again.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    I'm chasing my first Tahr so here's hoping we have a bit of luck
    Phillip you will need more than a bit of luck if you are planning on chasing them. If I were you I would take your rifle and shoot them.
    possumer likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Phillip you will need more than a bit of luck if you are planning on chasing them. If I were you I would take your rifle and shoot them.
    So little faith in your apprentice Rushy! I completed both the uphill scree-run and live-animal knife work modules with flying colours, you signed them off yourself. Rushy's eats the ground training regime has prepared me for this one.

Sent from my MT27i using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

daz
    Im heading into carnies biv in a few days. is the bivvy in a good state or is it best to bring the tent?

Phillpgr - did you get my PM? been having problems

I got the first one, did you get my reply?
    Yeah nah bro

Husky1600, thats great info.I hunted all of those creeks and basins 30 years ago and never new their names except for Carnies. What’s the name of the creek just down river from the hut, true right? Shot my first Tahr up there.

Here’s an oldy. I think this was up Camp Creek. Recognize it? It was bloody cold, I remember that.

Last edited by Tahr; 29-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Got it sorted, apparently message was too long, must have written too much BS! Have resent it in 2 pieces, should have it by now, Cheers Husky
    phillipgr likes this.

Tahr I dont recognise that rock, but boy I've been up close and personal with some big rocks in the bluffs in Camp Creek - definitely not a nice place to come down if you dont know where you are going. Once threw my pack down a chute so I had to follow! Fortunately it was only about 25 metres down and just wide enough to wedge myself in for the whole way. First creek down from the hut is the Growler, some good hunting in the Autumn in the Balaclava Basins, and the next one down is a shitty little [in tahr terms] creek called Camp Basin - very difficult to access.