Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Guided hunts??

Guided hunts??

I've never used a guide and always hunted doc land, fly camps etc usually for about a week, it takes a good half day to drive to the nearest deer hunting for me so time seams to get chewed up. I'm getting keen for a hunt but have limited time due to work commitments, I was thinking about possibly using a guide that had a private block for a day, or even just paying for access to a well managed block but have no idea where to start.

Does any one have any good suggestions of people to use, I'm just a tradie and don't need the fancy guiding experience that costs thousands, just a good day out with the reasonable chance at an animal. Also I would prefer a bush stalking setup rather than just cruising around a farm shooting deer on the bush edges.

I would prefer more Northern areas but I usually hunt Kiamanawas, Ruapehu area so could travel for the right place.

Thanks Rusl
    MB and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rusl View Post
    I've never used a guide and always hunted doc land, fly camps etc usually for about a week, it takes a good half day to drive to the nearest deer hunting for me so time seams to get chewed up. I'm getting keen for a hunt but have limited time due to work commitments, I was thinking about possibly using a guide that had a private block for a day, or even just paying for access to a well managed block but have no idea where to start.

Does any one have any good suggestions of people to use, I'm just a tradie and don't need the fancy guiding experience that costs thousands, just a good day out with the reasonable chance at an animal. Also I would prefer a bush stalking setup rather than just cruising around a farm shooting deer on the bush edges.

I would prefer more Northern areas but I usually hunt Kiamanawas, Ruapehu area so could travel for the right place.

Thanks Rusl
    Take a look at. https://huntinghq.com
    Lots of choices there. My personal experience with this has been positive. The only slight downside at the moment is that a fair number of blocks are closed at the moment for Lambing/calving. opening up again Sept/Nov.
    rugerman and MB like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

MB
    Living north of Auckland makes hunting more difficult for sure. Not only added time and distance, but having to travel through that bloody city to get anywhere.
    rusl likes this.

Stephen Heath in Taranaki would take you out for a fallow or 2 at $100 to the landowner plus around $50 for his fuel etc. He is based just out of Stratford, will take you to private large scale land around Patea. Uses quad to get to area, small amount of footwork. I and others use him to put good venison in the freezer. He does not allow 222/223 calibres. PM me for his contact if keen. Cheap pub accommodation available in Stratford
    Trout, tetawa, rugerman and 7 others like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Stephen Heath in Taranaki would take you out for a fallow or 2 at $100 to the landowner plus around $50 for his fuel etc. He is based just out of Stratford, will take you to private large scale land around Patea. Uses quad to get to area, small amount of footwork. I and others use him to put good venison in the freezer. He does not allow 222/223 calibres. PM me for his contact if keen. Cheap pub accommodation available in Stratford
    So he guides for just the price of his fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleduk View Post
    So he guides for just the price of his fuel?
    Yip he's a bloody good bugger he doesn't charge for his time.
    Heaps of fallow but more bush edge farm type hunting.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Yeah $100 an animal to landowner, asked me for $20 for fuel, wasn't enough gave him more and I think he has put that up now.
    Trout, rugerman, stingray and 1 others like this.

Get in touch with Andrew at adventure hunting nz just south of Auckland. www.adventurehunting.co.nz
    rugerman likes this.

Thanks for the leads guys.

I've done a few guided and unguided private land hunts. Being up northland way it's hard to get away and spend time in an area and learn what's going on.
    That make private land where you can hunt bush margins etc much easier (more successful) and just pay an animal and hut fee. (I normally just buy meat animals)

In the North island one son got his first deer at "Go Bush", Back then it was mostly Father Son/daughter or bow hunting
    I can't find his web page now but the company office listings look to be still current.
    Also some Fallow deer hunts out West Auckland. I got invited on a meat cull hunt last year in May (Game numbers where way too high for the food resource coming into winter, covid must have reduced the no of hunts).
    Have done a couple down in the south island with a guide.
    So easy, The Guy I use mostly does higher end stuff but is happy to take on the odd Kiwi hunter himself as long as you are OK with him taking the odd call and checking in with his staff and possibly being the last out the gate in the morning.
    Includes airport pickup, drop off, food, few beers, accommodation, then up to you if you want 4wd & walk private land (free range) or DOC walk in or Helicopter in.
    Also as they deal with airport security all the time helps if you have an issue.
    I had a problem with my walking stick, they did not want me taking it into the cabin.
    The second time with my PLB they were concerned I may set it off in the cabin but they can't go in checked baggage either. (Apparently it's captains choice to not carry it)
    Z
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer4u View Post
    That's just wrong.
    Jukes likes this.

Ned
    That's just wrong.
    Do these animals ever turn up at the sika show?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

That's just wrong.
    Probably fed him maize all summer long...

MB
    Personally, I wouldn't mind paying for a guide, or preferably just access to private land, but euthanising a fenced-in animal holds no interest for me whatsoever. Each to their own though.