Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Rees
  • 1 Post By Reindeer
  • 5 Post By JoshC
  • 3 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By Tribrit

Thread: Haast Roar Blocks

Haast Roar Blocks

Hey all

The upcoming Haast Roar period is nearly 5 weeks from getting underway.
    Whos in??
    Who was in and has pulled out having been given that option to defer block till the 2021 period.

Let us know what you fellas are thinking post 1080. Its not the first time this ares been bombed and ive seen what James shoots every year - dosent appear to be a shortage of them.

Where are you fellas heading, are ya amped?

Have McKerrow first period, Still going, if we dont find deer we'll head high and go after Thar and Chamios.

NRT
    Yeah upper Turnbull 2nd period don't get to excited with Haast roar blocks will enjoy chopper flight ,and scenery if deer about bonus but been let down over there before

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

If anyone has any advice on campsite for mckerrow block be much appreciated.
    Kea flat best place to base?
    Cheers

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

funny this.... limited info on any roar block areas.. and typically "lack of deer" with 1080 or chopper concerns......

funny how fiordland is so open in regards to the blocks yet wanaka and haast are hush hush?

hope ya report back with ya findings in a few weeks mate - all the best
    Reindeer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    funny this.... limited info on any roar block areas.. and typically "lack of deer" with 1080 or chopper concerns......

funny how fiordland is so open in regards to the blocks yet wanaka and haast are hush hush?

hope ya report back with ya findings in a few weeks mate - all the best
    Take a shitload of mozzie spray, a good tent, find a high dry campsite and take plenty of wet weather clothing.

Last year they started roaring on the 6th of April in our block.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    Take a shitload of mozzie spray, a good tent, find a high dry campsite and take plenty of wet weather clothing.

Last year they started roaring on the 6th of April in our block.
    Hey cheers @Tribrit
    Had Toetoe few years back and was introduced to the sandflies and rain. Gear isn't a issue, all good gear we use for tahr hunting during winter ballots.

Issue had last time was got 1st period Toetoe and on first day we found half a dozen gut bags at the end of the strip. Looked like shot few days prior to us getting in. Found another pile up on a ridge also.
    1 deer was seen for that whole trip,alive. With venison prices low and 1080 being in the area there's hope the choppers may not have been harassing the deer too much?
    But yes @Rees it's hard to find out info.
    Interesting this year the prices that we got from fox Franz and greenstone were vastly different.
    Have done 6 trips with James and usually great value for money.

Back to the block, anyone hunted the tops over Mckerrow? What are tops like, is it a day mission or is it more of a biv out coiple of days jobbie.

Cheers

Rees likes this.

I wouldn't put a ballot in if I didn't intend on committing. Have had a Haast block for the last five years, have always seen deer and chamois (& tahr). There's more to seeing animals when hunting in South Westland, next best thing to hunting Fiordland for the adventure, views and challenges. The deer are always there, they won't show themselves till late in evening. In the tops, they'll be living in the top couple of hundred metres from the tussock line. Cover the ground with your eyes rather than your legs. Much less WARO pressure this season, the 1080 doesn't kill them all, there'll be plenty around this year. We'll be in the Waiatoto this year. @NRT, I can send you some info on Upper Turnbull if you like/haven't been in there? I was in there two roars ago, we saw several animals and missed out on a pretty nice one.
    chainsaw, Micky Duck, Rees and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

as @JoshC says - be prepared to stay out late, till the very last few mins of shootable light. Or very first light in morning. Been my experience in various Haast & Wanaka blocks that the stags only step out of the bush when its almost dark. This pretty much rules out day missions to the tops, take a tent or bivy and stay out there to make best use of last and first light. Then you also need luck on your side to have chosen a good posie where there's a chance of some decent deer around.
    Micky Duck, Reindeer and moosemeat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    Hey cheers @Tribrit
    Had Toetoe few years back and was introduced to the sandflies and rain. Gear isn't a issue, all good gear we use for tahr hunting during winter ballots.

Issue had last time was got 1st period Toetoe and on first day we found half a dozen gut bags at the end of the strip. Looked like shot few days prior to us getting in. Found another pile up on a ridge also.
    1 deer was seen for that whole trip,alive. With venison prices low and 1080 being in the area there's hope the choppers may not have been harassing the deer too much?
    But yes @Rees it's hard to find out info.
    Interesting this year the prices that we got from fox Franz and greenstone were vastly different.
    Have done 6 trips with James and usually great value for money.

Back to the block, anyone hunted the tops over Mckerrow? What are tops like, is it a day mission or is it more of a biv out coiple of days jobbie.

Cheers

its really pretty sad when ya look at it from a bigger picture, these 'icon' blokes who give the hot tips on where to go, yet are in there week prior to ballots an stuff.... as if they wouldnt get just as many a week after the ballot..

Nah mate think you may have got the wrong end of the stick there.
    I was implying/know it was the chopper venison recovery guys that were in the week prior to roar blocks.
    Choppers will fly carcasses to a central point and dress up animals hence gut bag piles.
    I know it's to be expected and they have a living to earn I was more pissed that it was so close to period let alone same outfit that flew us in.

We have upper Burke block this year. Always had luck. I pack light and cover ground looking for the likely spots and try to have patience which is not always easy!
    Any help with access around the area would be greatly appreciated as this is new territory for me. PM if you prefer...cheers

If anyone's going to Durwards Creek, PM me I can offer some insight.
    stu#71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stu#71 View Post
    We have upper Burke block this year. Always had luck. I pack light and cover ground looking for the likely spots and try to have patience which is not always easy!
    Any help with access around the area would be greatly appreciated as this is new territory for me. PM if you prefer...cheers
    I will send you a PM later on
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

What's the Chamios population like up top end of the landsborough?

Have drawn the Roaring Billy, 2nd period 2023. Anyone been in there and can offer advice would be appreciated.