Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By gonetropo

Thread: Halogen/ LED /HID

Halogen/ LED /HID

hi all, since i repair a hell of allot of these here's my advice

Halogen, power hungry but reliable and not too worried about too much power fluctuation in the supply voltage. pretty heavy draw off a battery though. Animals usually stand still in the light

LED. not so power hungry, do not like uneven DC like a farm bike that does not have a battery. my experience is that rabbits tend not to be "stunned" by it.

HID : repaired literally 100's so far: pretty good on battery drain. do not like batteries that are going flat. do not like an overcharging vehicle power or the farm bike power supply. most on sale do not like to run constantly and overheat the invertor units built in (the discharge tube runs at about 22.000 volts). also even though it may be rated 35 watts the wattage at strike up is almost double that so you may find if you are running off a battery and switch off it wont switch on next time if the battery is getting low. Animals "stunned by it" more than LED

How true of the latter especially the custom top of the line models from Aussie Lightforce so that you buy a replacement unit it craps out as well .That said the earlier or first HID performs spotlessly . Then they were all consigned to the way Moas go with Maxtoch.
    gadgetman likes this.

I still have a older 35W HID, and a Maxtoch. The HID is now relegated to the parts bin, as the Maxtoch matches it for throw. The latest model Maxtoch should be even better.
    Rabbits don't seem to be stunned by the cool tint HID or the warm tint LED. Perhaps Rabbits that have never been hunted may stop and try and figure out what the bright light is.

the maxtochs are great but have you seen the new laser lighting systems? a fast scanning laser illuminates a selected area by scanning so fast it appears to the eye as a solid beam of light where it lands. currently only on vehicles but im waiting for a mobile version
    Gerbs likes this.