Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 2 Post By initiaz
  • 19 Post By Spook
  • 1 Post By possummatti

Thread: Has any one noticed this on the stinky things recently

Has any one noticed this on the stinky things recently

Hi guys

Went out for some goats on Saturday for the freezer. The forecast was not very ok for early morning start as it would drizzle till around 8am. I still went in early. Walked up the usually track but not luck.. was back at car park around 10.30am.

By now the sun was shinning through the hanging clouds and so instead of heading back thought of driving up a 4x4 track to have a look. Half way through the track and out of no where pop about 12 huge billies. A mixture of colors, black brown white..

Quickly shut the engine down, reached for the rifle at the back seat, got out and dived to the ground. Bipod extended, aim .... BOOM , reload.. BOOM.. 2 down and the rest lost into the "no where" they had popped out from..

Easiest retrieve, quick gutt and all set to hit for the road back home..

Now this is what i noticed. The billies had like almost NO stinky smell at all.. Not sure whether this was because of the grassy location, approaching spring or has the recent heavy rains given them a good shower..

what ever may be the reason I guess its a good time to head back and drop some more for the freezer this coming wikend again..

Sorry didnt snap any pics as I forgot the cam that morning..
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.

When you cant notice the smell of an ol'billy goat, it is time you took a bath
    sneeze, veitnamcam, Bryan and 16 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

hay mate I have shot a lot of goats around here and I find if its yellow its not coming back with me. but yeah some smell and some don't that's what I noticed

Generally when they are mating. Kids are dropping now and billies therefore have no interest.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    hay mate I have shot a lot of goats around here and I find if its yellow its not coming back with me. but yeah some smell and some don't that's what I noticed
    Some breeding and some are not???.

I didn't think goats had a special time for mating
    VIVA LA HOWA

There was a few up there yesterday initiaz, saw prob 15 all up.

Wernt too smelly, but the recent rain might of helped them a little!

I think all the ones I have shot in the rain still smelt and what makes it worse when they are wet it gets on your clothes even more

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I didn't think goats had a special time for mating
    From a DOC Website. If you believe what they say and mostly I don't.

"Winter time is a good time to hunt goats. It is the end of mating and the males are still with the females.".

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    From a DOC Website. If you believe what they say and mostly I don't.

"Winter time is a good time to hunt goats. It is the end of mating and the males are still with the females.".
    Anytimes a good time to shoot goats

I cant remember every goat I've shot but im sure I've shot kids at all times of the year before. That why I assumed they didnt have a season

Another thing is I've seen mobs of goats and not every nanny has a kid in tow, only the odd one. If they had a season I would have thought every nanny would have a kid
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by initiaz View Post
    Hi guys

Went out for some goats on Saturday for the freezer. The forecast was not very ok for early morning start as it would drizzle till around 8am. I still went in early. Walked up the usually track but not luck.. was back at car park around 10.30am.

By now the sun was shinning through the hanging clouds and so instead of heading back thought of driving up a 4x4 track to have a look. Half way through the track and out of no where pop about 12 huge billies. A mixture of colors, black brown white..

Quickly shut the engine down, reached for the rifle at the back seat, got out and dived to the ground. Bipod extended, aim .... BOOM , reload.. BOOM.. 2 down and the rest lost into the "no where" they had popped out from..

Easiest retrieve, quick gutt and all set to hit for the road back home..

Now this is what i noticed. The billies had like almost NO stinky smell at all.. Not sure whether this was because of the grassy location, approaching spring or has the recent heavy rains given them a good shower..

what ever may be the reason I guess its a good time to head back and drop some more for the freezer this coming wikend again..

Sorry didnt snap any pics as I forgot the cam that morning..

Did it taste any good? i cant say too much as ive only shot one billy goat but i certainly wont be eating roast billy again if they taste anything like he did.
    initiaz likes this.