Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By doinit
  • 2 Post By Stocky
  • 4 Post By crocodiledavid
  • 3 Post By Stocky
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Heading into Lewis pass for a few days (keen to join?)

Heading into Lewis pass for a few days (keen to join?)

Hey team,

Just finished up with uni for now and looking to head into the hills for a few days for the roar. Just wondering if anyone is keen to join me or has any upcoming trips with a spare spot. (new to south island not to hunting)

Any spots or suggestions for hunting the Lewis in the roar would be much appreciated. Not after ya spot x but a rough area would be helpful.

Cheers

above the bush line...in the open..wear flouro as it will be busy.

That area should have parking meters this time of year and maybe a coffee cart....be darn carefull.
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    That area should have parking meters this time of year and maybe a coffee cart....be darn carefull.
    Security at the carparks too
    257weatherby and Micky Duck like this.

Just got out from Lewis last week.

Lots of stags around but just terrible antlers. 3 trips into the nina River now, nothing fantastic trophy wise. Lots of animals about though if you walk enough

Quote Originally Posted by crocodiledavid View Post

Lots of stags around but just terrible antlers. 3 trips into the nina River now, nothing fantastic trophy wise. Lots of animals about though if you walk enough
    Did you hear many stags roaring?

Quote Originally Posted by crocodiledavid View Post

Terrible antlers likely has to do with overpopulation of hinds and lack of age class due to hunters mainly shooting stags even if they are only young. I was bad about this for awhile too although i wasnt shooting anything as i was holding out for something with some age or a pb. The last year i hunted there regularly i started shooting a hind or 2 everytrip on the way out typically the one closest to the ridge. Probably only missed out on a hind once or twice which goes to show the numbers around.

The area has had a significant number of good animals come out historically a bit of poulter/haupiri influence floating around . It's a shame as it's one of the few places not Warod but foot hunters have shown very little of the conservation we often preach (waro are not much better). I haven't been back very much in the last 2 years except when I'm wanting a guarantee to shoot a hind in an overnighter. I had footage on my old phone of a stag that must have been only 3 or 4 with 15 or 16 points that would have made a great trophy with some age. Saw him pop up a month later on the venison hunters Facebook page in a stack of young stags smashed by one of the many once a year fly in hunters.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and Jake77 like this.

I must get back in there for another go.....maybe in deep winter or early spring...will have a bit better idea of whats in front of me next time. heck of nice place but a bit of a shock for me the size/scope of area.
    Happy Jack likes this.