Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigred

Thread: Heading into the upper caples next Thursday the 11th snow? Tips?

Heading into the upper caples next Thursday the 11th snow? Tips?

As per the title Where's the best place to find out about snow accumulation and track conditions any advice for the trip group of 4 walking in up the valley

Someone on here might have been in recently. I wouldn't know for certain but I'd imagine there is a fair bit of snow on the ground, much like the rest of the south island high country

This side of the pass has had more rain than snow so I'd b more worried about river crossings than snow level I know wanaka tarras area snow level is sitting above 1100m and the fallow are not that high atm

take plenty of warm cloths....make sure you have good sleeping bag,liner and cover...nothing worse than shivering through the night.take extra cooking fuel....hot cuppa tea/coffee and 2minute noodles at midday will perk you up no end....ring glenorchy helicopters..they will know what levels are like...great people.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Cheers guys

oh and keep your scope clear at all times...regularly stop and whipe lenses if needed...aye @waimo or you will be looking at an easy deer and not be able to see it through scope....
    go slow,look lots and if find spot in sunlight with feed and sign....dont be afraid to just sit back and watch it.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Was up the Greenstone last week. Snow level above bushline. Track on other hand not great. Windfall everywhere from snow in June and talking to doc on way out caples is just as bad. Not much can do about it but just takes a bit longer. Plenty of deer about though
    Micky Duck likes this.

Here's my post from a couple of years ago in July upper caples https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ck-july-61584/

We flew into kay creek which was pretty dumb. I would go back and just walk in. The valley floor stays frozen but plenty of deer around the upper caples hut in the bush

Quote Originally Posted by Grantn View Post
    We flew into kay creek which was pretty dumb. I would go back and just walk in. The valley floor stays frozen but plenty of deer around the upper caples hut in the bush
    Cheers mate some great info in there crossing fingers for the forecast to be good