Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Heli hunt ideas for a newbie

Heli hunt ideas for a newbie

Hey guys, going on a heli hunt mid September for a birthday gift.. need some ideas or options from you guys! I’m in Tauranga so north island for this trip, don’t mind driving anywhere in the north island, 2-3 day trip, no preference on type of deer just want to get some meat in the freezer!

I’ve been told to hit up Chriss Cross from Kaweka helicopters and fly into Ruahini corner hut… has anyone else been there and what was it like? Have all the gear and half an idea… what other places should I look up? Cheers
    Micky Duck likes this.

for a newbie i would say oamaru private hut with helisika....deer dont make it easier for you anywhere else.... decent hut with a shower and flush toilet!
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    for a newbie i would say oamaru private hut with helisika....deer dont make it easier for you anywhere else.... decent hut with a shower and flush toilet!
    You reckon that is an easy spot? I went in there once and thought it was crap. Few little secrets to getting deer in there but no.good to me as found out after haha

we did it in summer a few years back 3 of us walked in to the doc hut on the day before we had the private one booked got up early and crossed over to the private block mate tipped a decent stag on the banks of the mohaka from the airstrip we were heading down to get it just as the chopper arrived with our gear and the other 2 in our party (10am).
    put my young nephew onto his first the next evening a spiker at over 400yds (with a dirty old mauser in 308 no less) down on that clearing beside the oamaru

Derek at Heli Resoures in Murapara got some great spots in the Urewera

Email : info@heliresources.co.nz

Phone : (7) 3665267

Derek : (21) 943641

Tony : (21) 784529

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan85 View Post
    I’ve been told to hit up Chriss Cross from Kaweka helicopters and fly into Ruahini corner hut… has anyone else been there and what was it like?
    Did a trip with East Kaweka Helicopters in May, couldn't fault them.

Hey guys, going on a heli hunt mid September for a birthday gift.. need some ideas or options from you guys! I’m in Tauranga so north island for this trip, don’t mind driving anywhere in the north island, 2-3 day trip, no preference on type of deer just want to get some meat in the freezer!

I’ve been told to hit up Chriss Cross from Kaweka helicopters and fly into Ruahini corner hut… has anyone else been there and what was it like? Have all the gear and half an idea… what other places should I look up? Cheers
    September will still be fairly hard hunting anywhere up high, still be in winter mode. No guarantees anywhere.

I've not hunted ruahine corner, but would probably aim the te urewera that time of year for maximum chances
    Seventenths and BRADS like this.

Ruahine corner in September is still winter , but if nobody has been there for a awhile could be an easy deer if the weather is ok .
    Definitely worth talking to Chris Cross though
    Last edited by 30late; 11-07-2021 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

I would be looking at the ruahines, out anywhere else that has lots of slips dropping from mid height to the valley floor.
    Just stake them out all day. Early late and when the sun hits the. Pohongina valley or something like that

Opotiki Helicopters (Rod Scott) may be able to get you into the Raukumaras or Ureweras at that time - its not so far for you to drive. May be fly/tent-camping, but plenty (read: FAR TOO MANY) deer in there, albeit often on the small side.
    trapperjohn likes this.

Cheers guys for all the info, would you suggest going in October rather than September will it be better conditions then? I’m from Aussie been here 2 1/2 years so still learning the weather patterns over here

Quote Originally Posted by deer4u View Post
    Derek at Heli Resoures in Murapara got some great spots in the Urewera

Email : info@heliresources.co.nz

Phone : (7) 3665267

Derek : (21) 943641

Tony : (21) 784529
    You wouldn't be offering the Number One 1080 spreaders by any chance.
    trapperjohn likes this.

Cheers guys for all the info, would you suggest going in October rather than September will it be better conditions then? I’m from Aussie been here 2 1/2 years so still learning the weather patterns over here
    If it was me chasing any deer that time of year i would be chasing the spring growth late October early November but in saying that you don't want to late when the days are getting to hot if you are wanting to bring meat out.
    Spring growth will be different all over north island but members on here might be able to shed some light on a area once you find one.
    Or a decent operator what knows his area should be able to give you the right advise.
    tetawa and RUMPY like this.

I'd give Opotoki Helicopters a big shout out, excellent operators with the hunters interests at heart.
    They can give you good advise on Raukumaras, plenty of animals and they need culling.
    Slip faces will attract animals on warm mornings.
    possibility of a good head to boot.

Fly in, Jet boat out if you like.
    Might give it ago myself sometime soon.
    Mohawk660 likes this.

I wouldn’t do ruahine corner in winter, its a pretty harsh place through the cold months. You’d do well in November/December in there.