Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By 199p
  • 1 Post By Sako 243

Thread: Heritage Hut

Heritage Hut

Does anyone know if Heritage hut area has been hammered recently?

I have a rare lunchtime to lunchtime off and wondered about shooting in there this late this arvo or early evening and hitting the hills above early tomorrow morning.

Or should I just get up early and hit No. 1 Line early instead?

Cheers, John

I have been there a few times, I have seen a good amount of game and lots and lots of sign.

I think more trampers go there and most hunters go further up the river, I know a few guys that hunt it and they always get deer there.

Lots of old guys from nzda go in there just to remember what its like to be out hunting again.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I have been there a few times, I have seen a good amount of game and lots and lots of sign.

I think more trampers go there and most hunters go further up the river, I know a few guys that hunt it and they always get deer there.

Lots of old guys from nzda go in there just to remember what its like to be out hunting again
    Or because they negotiated with DOC on behalf of Manwhatu NZDA to establish the original lodge that was subsequently burnt down, established the rifle range on the way to the lodge, set up a heritage (read "heritage lodge") for this generation (and cut and maintained the tracks, and return because of the fantastic memories. They were also absolutely responsible for negotiating the helicopter hunting free Orua zone. Respect.
    Last edited by Tahr; 28-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    Dawg and Bwah like this.

I think it has had a hell of a lot of use lately. I went in there about 3 weekends ago and I saw more cars at the car park than I ever had before (including the roar) ......and I've been going in there on and off for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Or because they negotiated with DOC on behalf of Manwhatu NZDA to establish the original lodge that was subsequently burnt down, established the rifle range on the way to the lodge, set up a heritage (read "heritage lodge") for this generation (and cut and maintained the tracks, and return because of the fantastic memories. They were also absolutely responsible for negotiating the helicopter hunting free Orua zone. Respect.
    Trust me no disrespect intended i was just commenting on a lot of the times i was hunting there, There where a lot of guys who came up just to recoop there hunting memorys tru story.
    My mates Granddad who is around 78 still walks in there carrying his old 3006 just for the memorys it brings him back.

I am a member of the NZDA palmy and i am very awear of the hard work that has been put in to the area buy them.

I know a lot of people get put off hunting there because its nzda and they assum that a lot of people therefore hunt there where i have found less other hunters there then most other easy access spots
    I can see what your saying but my post was not intended down that parth
    Tahr likes this.

Banned
    bloody old fullas aye!!!weill be just the same when were 100 aswell!!(waiting for a slap).

Went up No.1 this morning, spooked a hind and fawn about 3/4-1 hour up the track. No other sign seen.

Came out and went for a drive up Takapari just to see how far there and back, it's the same as last time

Can't beat getting out of work for a morning!!

John
    199p likes this.