Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Hey all you Wellington slackers

Id be investing in a cross bow

I watched a guy on youtube shooting pigs with a .50cal PCP air rifle, he was able to knock over several at a time it is so quiet.
    Still discharging a firearm in a public place but if no one knows....

Name:  A Wellington Red deer stag in velvet.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  308.7 KB

Obvious wordings.....
    A friendly red stag in velvet watching the photographer.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Id be investing in a cross bow
    Why not a compound bow? Far fewer $$$ if you look at like-for-like performance. But you are on the right track - super sharp pointy sticks barely even disturb the animals. A friend in SA shot an impala. It jumped like it had been spooked by the shot, looked around and then carried on browsing. He actually nocked a second arrow, because he thought he had missed, (and you pay for the animal you shoot at even if you miss over there...) After a few minutes, the animal sat, then rolled over and expired - turns out he made a perfect heart lung shot.
    Micky Duck and bluebaiter222 like this.

Well gwyn the CEO of nzda was at our club room yesterday.

He is in the process of negotiating access for nzda members to waikato, Thames valley council owned bush.

Ideally if it is a success then they will try to get every council on board.
    Micky Duck and thejamesjames like this.

Deer in the same place ?

Name:  hind.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  353.1 KB

Same clearing as the above previously posted photo of the velvet stag taken some 10 months ago.
    Firstly on the clearing there was a hind and a yearly fawn, then they disappeared and then "another presumably different hind" came out? These new photos taken December 2021.

Not seeing many deer at the moment, but in a 1km walk with the dog last night I counted 73 rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by video hunter View Post
    Attachment 174835

Obvious wordings.....
    A friendly red stag in velvet watching the photographer.
    ok im not as clued up as some you guys on here am i wrong or is that stag a bit sika-ish?

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Well gwyn the CEO of nzda was at our club room yesterday.

He is in the process of negotiating access for nzda members to waikato, Thames valley council owned bush.

Ideally if it is a success then they will try to get every council on board.
    if theres even a whiff of deer in the coromandels DOC send in the cullers.......so thames council would be a bust.....the rest of waikato tho, bring it on

Cant be as bad as Garth Eyles item on NZ Herald about mobs of deer destroying Hawkes Bay and a mob of 30-40 deer in Rissington. What a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Cant be as bad as Garth Eyles item on NZ Herald about mobs of deer destroying Hawkes Bay and a mob of 30-40 deer in Rissington. What a moron.
    Thanks for that article, link here https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-ba...RYJD5A43IHEQE/
    I know Garth from the days when he was on the HBRC Land Management. What he's saying makes sense to me, the deer do a heap of damage, and big mobs are increasingly being seen. One of the HBRC biosecurity guys showed me a picture he'd taken of well over 100 reds in one mob on a farm near Tutira. I have not yet seen more than 20 at a time at my place, but 5 years ago there were none. What specific part of Garths article makes you class him as a moron?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Thanks for that article, link here https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-ba...RYJD5A43IHEQE/
    I know Garth from the days when he was on the HBRC Land Management. What he's saying makes sense to me, the deer do a heap of damage, and big mobs are increasingly being seen. One of the HBRC biosecurity guys showed me a picture he'd taken of well over 100 reds in one mob on a farm near Tutira. I have not yet seen more than 20 at a time at my place, but 5 years ago there were none. What specific part of Garths article makes you class him as a moron?

I always wonder why these landowners contact NZDA so that they can arrange organiser hunts on these properties. It would be an obvious solution.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    ok im not as clued up as some you guys on here am i wrong or is that stag a bit sika-ish?
    Who knows, perhaps you are right - perhaps you are wrong. Maybe someone else can comment on your question for you.

Who knows what's lurking out there in the NZ bushes at the present time?

To those that like Red deer photos....

Name:  Red deer hind and fawn.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  410.3 KB

Another clearing not far away from the previous photos, more Wellington Red deer.
    veitnamcam likes this.

They"ve cleaned out my vege garden again.