Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: how to carry out an animal

how to carry out an animal

There is thread on this in the other old pub and I found it very imformative...between us all there is one heck of a lot of collective knowledge earned the hard way...there is also a heck of a lot of stuffed backs and dicky knees from doing things the hard way.
    about 3 years ago I tried Alex Gale carry strap method and are sold....two pigs 70 and 80lbs got carried out TOGETHER... then did same with two small goats...have used it on a couple of red hinds where it wasnt huge distance,for open country it is simple awesome,falling over is no longer a huge deal,untie know and wiggle out,start again,having weight down across kidneys helps balance no end.
    will try to find phots of method...... have at it guys PLEASE show young folks the easy ways to do things.the days of 12year old with 150lb boar on back are over...thats just dumb pigheaded bragging ...cut the plurry thing up.

in that link is also one I posted elsewhere how to debone deer leaving meat on skin....keeps it clean and hide comes home too...draped around shoulders its hot but comfy.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Name:  IMG_0328.JPG
Views: 744
Size:  488.1 KB

I carry them with the belt method. Twice I had the opportunity to shoot another one while carrying like that.
    Tahr, chainsaw, buell984 and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Attachment 183043

I carry them with the belt method. Twice I had the opportunity to shoot another one while carrying like that.
    Looks like quite a bit of weight in that animal too
    When hunting think safety first

If I can't eat it, it stays in the bush. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    If I can't eat it, it stays in the bush. Simple.
    I like to hang it under the house then take my time cutting it up into choice cuts and make a good job so I carry all mine out whole
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Looks like quite a bit of weight in that animal too
    Yep, a big spiker from pureora.
    Pauli, Micky Duck and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

normally now I bone out front end and whack the back wheels off in one bit...front bits go in pikau and back wheels over shoulders.

Depending how far i’ve got to go or what sort of hunt I will either bone out back legs and take eye fillets / back steaks or i’ll take the back steaks / eye fillets and whack off the two rear legs and carry them intact but leg shortened at the knee. I carry a 40L day back on day hunts so normally it fits inside that. If not then I tie the two legs together and drape them over the pack on my back. If I shoot two then often one fits in the bag and the other gets draped over top (unless if someone else there to carry it). The only time I take whole animals is if I can get a vehicle or quad to them or pretty close. Shoulders normally stuffed from the shot anyway.
    JessicaChen likes this.

MB
    Generally, back legs and backstraps harvested. One or two shoulders normally munted, so left. Don't open gut cavity. Smaller animals taken out in entirety, but gutted and broken down to some degree to fit in a pikau. If it's an overnight trip (I vaguely remember those!) and getting late in the day, animal gutted and put in a cotton duvet to keep flies off and dealt with the next day.

I will carry the whole animal out (assuming it isn't a giant red) if I am not too far from the car. Otherwise I will debone the meat and fit all of it into my pack. Excess bone is very heavy. Even the hide is heavy.
    Id rather have a BIT less meat and a bit less bone for a broth than to bugger up my knees. Ive already halfway mucked up my left knee and its still hurting after a few years so it made me think twice about carrying too much.
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

What about the chopper boys who dragged a boat over the range so they could ferry their deer around that lake. Unreal. .

I am a Ex Shearer who had years of back related Sciatica pain ,(touch wood all good for years now),who still does core strength , swimming & stretching exercises at nearly 60 to avoid any reoccurrence, as l would not wish it on my worst enemy .

Around 16 yrs ago a mate blew his knee out & twisted his back into spasm carrying a carcass out when it got caught up in the scrub ,they had to spend a cold night on the hill, with panic stations with their families. I have never carried a carcass since, all busted down , majority of time l shoulder shoot aiming to punch through to off side so front wheels are normally not taken, but l do gut & get the flap steak ,Heart & Kidneys normally & now l have been getting into smoking meat l take neck & ribs as well .

For over a decade l have used a 45ltr pack with a dedicated meat bag, that l now use as multi function bit of essential hunting Kit, l had a large flap of truck nylon HD tarp sewed to it & it gets used to sit on while glassing ,placing tucker on in the field & it is used as a cold ground barrier for the dog to sleep on .

I am lucky enough to have a productive private hunting spot where l am hunting within 45min's of turning out of our farm gate ,so hunt at least once a week & this system has worked well for me over the years.
    Last edited by bunji; 07-11-2021 at 11:03 PM.
    buell984 and viper like this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

That limestone country has always produce big, nice tasting animals