Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: how do you store meat

how do you store meat

ok i know this has been done before, i use a pillow case and hang in hut till i go home.

problem i'm going to have in the next couple of weeks is i have 3-4 trips lined up back to back and not getting home in between.

have been looking at the biltong maker and toying with the idea of making one up to go in the back of the truck in order to keep my meat (could run it off the spare 12v battery). (assuming i'm successful). other option is stick it in the chilly bin with a bag of ice and keep replacing the ice as i travel, would this idea work or is the moisture just going to build up and start rotting? hate the idea of shooting a few animals and it all going nasty on the drive home.

i could take an inverter and vaccum pack the meat before i put it in the chiily bin which i guess would help....

anyone else run into this problem and had a light bulb moment?

That is a dilly of a pickle

Bad planing. If your meat isn't chilled properly then your wasting your time and soiling anything that you shoot. Venison , which i assume you are after needs to be chilled and hung preferably with the bone out. You need to find some where cool and dry to hang your meat between hunts to preserve it. Maybe find someone in the area that has room in a chiller?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutty View Post
    Bad planing. If your meat isn't chilled properly then your wasting your time and soiling anything that you shoot. Venison , which i assume you are after needs to be chilled and hung preferably with the bone out. You need to find some where cool and dry to hang your meat between hunts to preserve it. Maybe find someone in the area that has room in a chiller?
    i will be away with a few folks and if i cant find a solution i'll be giving it away (in the hopes i get some back in the future) will have access to a fridge halfway through but worst case it will be 5days in the truck...
    dannyb likes this.

Could try salting the meat or putting it in a brine. To try and cure it.

Or try smoking it on a wood fire very very thinly sliced. Render some beef dripping, lard or shortening. And make pemmican

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Could try salting the meat or putting it in a brine. To try and cure it.

Or try smoking it on a wood fire very very thinly sliced. Render some beef dripping, lard or shortening. And make pemmican
    hmmm brine could be a solution. should add that animals targeted will be tahr deer and goat in that order.

Hire a chiller trailer and a generator

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Hire a chiller trailer and a generator
    dont think i will be getting that many animals and would involve towing trailer which i dont really want to do considering the kms involved
    dannyb likes this.

being in the south aint it cold enough down there to not worry about refrigeration at the mo?
    223nut likes this.

Bone it out immediately and get it chilled brown to ambient ASAP after shooting. Hang it if at all possible until you get a skin on the meat. Make extra effort to keep the meat clean and 'sterile'. Remove any bruising. Vacuum pack the meat. Put it in a big arse chilly bin filled with salt ice. If you don't have one, get one of the big heavy duty chilly bins. They are pricy but wit salt ice drained daily, they will keep cold for a week.
    Nick-D and 223nut like this.

possibly...hang in cool place in the breeze in fly proof bags....this time of year a shaded garage is like a fridge any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy79 View Post
    being in the south aint it cold enough down there to not worry about refrigeration at the mo?
    Not yet no

sources for salt ice in south canterbury?

have one cheap chilly bin and a really good one but they are both a bit on the small side. one trick i learnt with them is if you stick an oven rack under the ice on a couple of stands (or a grill rack that has legs) the ice drains nicely

Step outside our place at the moment and you are in a chiller. 2.6 degrees C at the moment.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Very mild here atm barely freezing in the morning atm