Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: How long do you age venison before freezing?

How long do you age venison before freezing?

I shot a fallow Thursday 30th, hung it for two days before boning out to bring home. Thursday 6th I trimmed and vacuum packed, having been refrigerated the whole time. Back in the fridge. I was thinking putting it in the freezer next Thursday. So a total of two weeks to age.
    What say you wise and experienced men of the forest?

I would freeze it as soon as you vac pack it. Someone might disagree but ageing in vac packed plastic? I don't see the logic.
    Fallow I wouldn't worry to much about aging. The two days you hung it for would be sweet.
    Dougie, petree and Hunt4life like this.

Freeze after bagging. Hang or fridge/chill with no plastic on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon its more import to trim every bit of sinue and shit off the meat than it is to hang it for x amount of time myself. But I mince backsteaks so I wouldnt trust me
    veitnamcam, Dougie, Pengy and 7 others like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I had a cow processed by a butcher who bagged up all my meat and held back all the bagged steaks to keep in his chiller for a couple of weeks to age. Seemed to make sense.

Animal in good condition 2-3 days is plenty. At this time of year when they are loosing condition I like to hang them 6-10 days with at least a few of those with the skin on.
    I haven't tried aging in vac packed bags but have aged bulk steaked venison in the fridge because I didnt get round to bagging it up...lots of blood in the bottom after a couple of days.
    mikee and johnino like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

hang it till its green. yum. i usually do a week at least in the chiller or a couple days in the shade then a day or 2 in the fridge after that. everyone does it different.

3-4 days hanging is about right. It will last for quite a while in the freezer as well.

I age mine as long as VC will let me leave it in his chiller
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I vac pac my steaks and put in fridge til i shoot the next animal.................usually the following week
    kiwijames likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

The last 2 reds weve shot have hung skin on for 2 days in very cold garage then skin off for another day, then been boned out into wire freezer baskets, and left in them for another 3 days in COLD COLD bathroom in bath tub....6 degrees in there most times!!!! venni is tender as. agree re trimming off the "silverskin" makes a huge difference.
    during summer keeping meat hung for more than 2 days becomes not viable.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Meat does not age so much, it more rots. Anything will, and so does your precious venison (as does the dead possum on the side of the road). The process of "ageing" is more controlled rotting. Temperature control is our typical method of regulating the rot. The colder the temp, the slower this decay process. By vacuum packing you also control the environment and reduce the moisture loss from the meat. Most commercially process meat is spray chilled for this exact reason. Refrigeration reduces humidity, with the product forced to dehydrate and in turn lose weight ($) and quality. The retention of skin and natural membranes certainly reduces moisture loss and is recommended. Ageing allows natural bacterial processes to break down the tissues which in turn makes the meat more tender eating.
    So to answer your question, the time ageing will be dependant on the animal and the circumstances of its demise. A whole carcass can benefit from a reasonable hang time where as cuts of meat may suffer too long in chilled and uncovered state. I don't find fallow require a great length of time to "age" but the time frame you have used would be fine.
    FYI I find smaller animals like Fallow and Sika are best left complete and allowed to set as a complete carcass where possible. Especially the back steaks. If removed I find they will shrink and can be less than best eating.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

How long do you age venison before freezing?

Awesome mate. Thanks for the in depth explanation. For me with the effort involved in acquiring the animal I want the meat to be at its optimum when I serve it up. Appreciate the advice from everyone.
    Last edited by johnino; 08-08-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnino View Post
    Awesome mate. Thanks for the in depth explanation. For me with the effort involved in acquiring the anal I want the meat to be at its optimum when I serve it up. Appreciate the advice from everyone.
    Best typo ever right there.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Oh f@$k
    Pengy and Dawg like this.